i3 4130 switch to FX8350

sir.chaseryan

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
It's been about 15 years since I've owned an AMD processor. They were the less expensive brand, but for some uses they did their job really well.
Now I find myself rebuilding my gaming PC, on a super tight budget.
Currently running:
- MSI H87G43
- i3 4130 (No OC)
- 16GB 12800
- 250GB SSD
- GTX 970

I play games like Arma 3, and other sandbox type games. While it would be nice to buy some of te newer games (like the latest Farcry), with my budget I am really focused on playing a few games really comfortably (Skyrim, Arma 3, etc)

I've been given a chance to swap mobos to an MSI 970 Gaming, with an AMD FX 8350. I see the extra cores, and that seems encouraging. However in doing some research, the waters of my understanding have become very cloudy when I started reading on how some games use one or two threads only, others make use of two cores or four, etc.

What is your view on the proposed swap? How would that improve the gaming I am currently engaged on? (I'm in my 40s, I tend to enjoy locking into games and then just playing them until the next gen comes out -say Arma 4-). But the time to upgrade -spending $500-700- on a decent rig is not in the cards for 2017.

Thanks for all the useful comments.

Solution
i3-4130 dual core with hyperthreading (4 threads)
i5-4690 quad core (4 threads)
i5-4690k quad core (4 threads) overclocking capable on a Z class motherboard (Z87/Z97)
i7-4790 quad core with hyperthreading (8 threads)
i7-4790k quad core with hyperthreading (8 threads) overclocking capable on a Z class motherboard (Z87/Z97)

So your H87 board doesn't support overclocking, but the K class CPUs do run slightly faster. The i7-4790k has a decent boost clock on its own, 4.4Ghz.

FX-8350 CPUs are power hungry when overclocked, and just don't produce great results for the effort in most applications. Only a few circumstances favor them, and they are mostly workstation tasks.

i7-4790 or i7-4790k is enough to run all contemporary games and...
I wouldnt recommend it, the 8350 has extremely low per core performance, so you really would not gain anything.
What is your budget for an upgrade? You could buy a new processor for your motherboard that would easily outperform the 8350 for 2-300 bucks.

The fx 8350 is a bad idea. It has bad single core performance and the extra cores don't really make up for it. Getting the 8350 will actually lower your fps in some of your games. Whats your budget?

sir.chaseryan

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
Thanks, Gam3r01.
I could get up to $300, but the lower the better. $300 would be a really hard ceiling, if that makes sense. This is why I was considering trading up. For instance, even finding someone with an i5 4790k, then I just get to swap CPUs, and performance should go up. (Would it though?) Any suggestions are always welcome. Sad to say I am pretty rusty with all this. Thanks again.

Here are the two main option in your price range.
The i5 would offer substantially better performance in gaming compared to the 8350, and the Xeon would offer similar single core performance to the i5, while also supporting hyperthreading (its basically an i7 without an iGPU or an unlocked multiplier). Since you list ARMA and sandbox games, the extra cores would probably be useful.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/vkxfrH,F63RsY/

Both processors would socket right into your motherboard with no additional changes needed.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
i3-4130 dual core with hyperthreading (4 threads)
i5-4690 quad core (4 threads)
i5-4690k quad core (4 threads) overclocking capable on a Z class motherboard (Z87/Z97)
i7-4790 quad core with hyperthreading (8 threads)
i7-4790k quad core with hyperthreading (8 threads) overclocking capable on a Z class motherboard (Z87/Z97)

So your H87 board doesn't support overclocking, but the K class CPUs do run slightly faster. The i7-4790k has a decent boost clock on its own, 4.4Ghz.

FX-8350 CPUs are power hungry when overclocked, and just don't produce great results for the effort in most applications. Only a few circumstances favor them, and they are mostly workstation tasks.

i7-4790 or i7-4790k is enough to run all contemporary games and support for any contemporary GPU.

Solution