I5-6500 Vs I5-7600k - What should i get

Monobovo01

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
I've Been recently researching about getting my first PC Gaming build, And i was going to get the I5-6500 as it is fairly cheap and has pretty good performance. But now i am wondering if i should spend a bit more money on an I5-7600k Because it has better performance but mainly because its newer and i'm looking to get something that would last at good quality gaming for a couple of years.

Looking for any opinions because as i said this is my first gaming PC so i don't know much.
Thanks in advance for all reply's :)

u better spend it on Ryzen build / just wait for the coffelake
Ryzen had more cores for cheaper prize, and most version comes with a stock cooler, also, they're all unlocked
the socket (AM4) will last at very least till 2020 (AMD says so) but u know, it's AMD, so single core performance-wise, Intel still won

meanwhile,
Coffelake will arrive later this year and it's going to cannibalized the kabylake line up (better performance at about the same price) they will also offer more cores (so goes the rumours) but will also require a new mobo socket, will be released in either Q3/Q4 this year

choose your path and i'll help u with the build after that :)

As constantine said, a Ryzen 5 1600 would be a much better choice, unless you want to wait for Coffee Lake, which will be launching either by end of this year or in the beginning of 2018 perhaps. My recommendation for a 60 Hz gaming PC would be a Ryzen 5 1600, because Intel's 'faster' processors are only 'fast' in high refresh rate gaming. At 60 Hz, there is no difference between the processors of the two companies. If, however, you have a monitor with a high refresh rate, i.e., 144+ Hz, then waiting for Coffee Lake would be a good decision. Don't get either of the two current i5's, they will not be good for gaming very soon, and you'll regret the decision then. It's either Ryzen or Coffee Lake.

to add some more info, though the leading CPU right now is i7 7700k as it had the highest possible max fps, CPU with more cores tend to have higher minimum fps and much more stable, especially if the game already support additional core utilization :)
so, Ryzen / Coffelake / or just go with Extreme Edition (like i9 or threadripper) XD

Pick your processor based on the types of games you play and your budget.
One guideline is to budget about 2x the cost of your cpu for the graphics card.

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
For them, spend more on the graphics card.

Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
For these, which tend to be cpu limited and single threaded, concentrate on fast single thread performance.
For them, a I5-7600K with an overclock is a very good deal.
As of 6/19/17
What percent of samples can get an overclock
at a vcore around 1.4v.
I5-7600K
4.9 72%
5.0 52%
5.1 27%
5.2 16%
5.3 samples exist, unknown % of occurrence

Ryzen is slightly less efficient per clock and tops out around 4.0.
If budget is not an issue, spend $100 more on a I7-7700K.
You will run near oc speeds at stock, get a better binned chip and 4 extra hyperthreads.

If you play multiplayer games with many participants, a high thread count fro ryzen processors is a good deal.

Then, consider your graphics card. Anything short of a GTX1080ti will play well with any $200 processor.

If your budget needs are more modest, look to a platform which can grow.
Ryzen is OK, but upgrading processors mainly gets you more threads, not faster single thread performance.

OTOH, a lga1151 based motherboard and something like a G6400 has a lot of upgrade potential.

Multiplayer with many participants tend to like many threads.