R9 290 Reference/AIO Cooled Temp/OC

daviddt45

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has chucked an ID-Cooling AIO cooler on there reference 290 and what kind of temps you've gotten? I had the reference design and the temps would always be in the 90-96c range when gaming/benchmarking. I've recently bought a Dual AIO Hunter Duet Cooler from ID-Cooling and now I usually get anywhere from 55 - 65c but some games (Mafia 3) - (Enemy Front) it will go to 75 to 80c. And without limiting the FPS for Enemy Front, my GPU went to 94c. Not sure if this is normal or not? It also gets to a max of 68c in Unigine Heaven. And idles at around 29 a 33c.

I've also tried to OC the card by about 10mhz core and it's resulted in black screens and after I restart, AMD tells me that it was unstable and has reverted to default settings, which I think is odd as I've herd that the cards are quite overclockable.

Anyone had any similar issues?

System specs:
Monitor: Asus 27" VC279H 5ms IPS
Case: NZXT 410 Black
Case Cooling: 5 Fans + 2 for Radiator & Hunter Duet AIO Cooler - ID-Cooling
PSU: 750W EVGA SuperNova G2 80+ Gold
Mobo: H97-Pro Gamer
CPU: i5 4590 3.3ghz turbo 3.7ghz with AIO Cooler
GPU: AMD R9 290 4GB Ref with AIO Cooler
RAM: G.Skill RipkawsX C9 16GB DDR3 1600mhz
SSD: Geil Zenith S3 120gb
HDD: 4TB WD Blue
HDD: 1TB WD Blue x2
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda Green

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

Ooo, frosty

Well, top card was cooled by a kraken x41 with a kraken g10 and bottom card was cooled with a kraken x31 and same g10. Same kraken sistems were mounted on my 2 gtx 1080. The things i was carefull about was vrm, i choosen asus r9 290x dc 2 because it had vrm heatsink and same principle on my two msi gtx 1080, i choosen msi because it has vram and vrm heatsinks.

daviddt45

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
I'm actually starting to think that I may have plugged all the pumps and fans in wrong, I've just re arranged them and am getting different temps now. Dragos, did you ever test what your temps were using unigine heaven? I'm getting about 66-69c for GPU on max. With a temp of 29-36c for CPU, idle for GPU is about 35c and CPU is 29c at idle

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

That is a huge difference. Something was definitely hooked up wrong if that is all you changed!

Those temps look excellent.

daviddt45

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
Maybe not :(

image.jpg

I must be doing something wrong, right?

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

Maybe just that everything wasn't back up to temp yet after your rearranging?

I'm not sure. It is too late (or early) for me to be smart...

Be sure to set pump rpm to max, what liquid cooler you have, it has water temp sensor?
In valley they never crossed over 55 degrees. Both radiators were in push position (exhaust), cpu is also cooled on water and it is in exhaust position, in your case teh cpu can heat up teh air inside, for my case everything was exhausting hot air outside and 2x140mm fans bringing cold air inside and 1x120mm also bringing cold air inside.

daviddt45

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
I have ID-Cooling Hunter Duet. It's a 2 in 1 AIO Cooler and it's set to exhaust for both fans, I have 3 front case fans that suck in air and 1 back fan to exhaust with the 2 radiator fans also as exhaust, I also have the side of the case off for extra cooling. I don't know if it has a water temp sensor? I also have no options to set the pump rpm to max.

There was no software included with the unit.

The unit came with no instructions for how or where to plug in the plugs so I've sort of winged it.

I have the GPU and CPU pump plugged into the CPU_Fan header and the 2 radiator fans plugged into a CHA_Fan header and I've plugged the onboard GPU fan into the GPU fan header.

daviddt45

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
I've done that but it hasn't changed anything, the radiator fan speed doesn't affect the temps much at all and if they're on max it sounds like a vaccume cleaner.

Edit: I just looked it up and apparently the pump is preset/fixed to 2500rpm.