how do i know if i need an i7 7700 or i7 7700k?

Mogen_

Reputable
Aug 6, 2016
i want to upgrade my i5 6500 to an i7 7700k, but my motherboard is not suitable for overclocking. should i buy an i7 7700k even if i won't be overclocking it?

also, will i need a new cooler if i decide to overclock it eventually?

Solution
D
The 7700k is extremely fast and i dont understand why anyone would overclock it while is one of the best cpu's out there. I would go with the 6700k over the 7700k due to the 7700k having thermal issue
D

Deleted member 1560910

The 7700k is extremely fast and i dont understand why anyone would overclock it while is one of the best cpu's out there. I would go with the 6700k over the 7700k due to the 7700k having thermal issue

Solution

we overclock it because we can lol

same as why do people jump out perfectly good aeroplanes its not to every ones taste but some will do it

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
1. Make sure your motherboard will support 7000 series as is, or through BIOS update. If new BIOS needed, may want to do before you tear it down.
2. As stated already, the 'K' does have higher base and boost clocks, so it should perform better (at the cost of higher power consumption, of course)
3. I believe the 7700k does NOT include a cooler, while the 7700 does. If you go 'K', you'll probably need to buy a cooler anyway.

If you are willing to spend extra for the 'K' plus cooler, the higher performance might be worth it to you even if you are not overclocking.

Yep! The thrill of victory, or the agony of defeat if you wreck your CPU pushing it "one louder" to 11. Same with pushing your luck on trusting a canopy open every time when you skydive and not have a problem with a backup if the main fails. Odds always bite someone, and it's usually those who make a mistake and do something wrong in a sequence of events.

No but seriously, at 2K and 4K resolutions (QHD and UHD for the colon-retentive purist snobs out there and you know who you are), overclocking a CPU yields severely diminished returns in gaming as the graphics is pushed to the GPU in demand. This is not so with productivity apps of course like video rendering. Overclocking an i7 7700K to say 5.0GHz on all four cores will push it into Broadwell-E i7 6950X territory for example in Vegas Studio.

And I always advise a builder wanting a 7700 series chip to pony up for the K series for the extra MHz boost which is a respectable 17% boost over the non-K in full core speed - a typical successful percentage an overclocker would be happy with.

D

Deleted member 1560910

Who is we? Im glad people have all kinds of money to rek cpu chips

i have never once wrecked a cpu by overclocking it

as long as you have adequate cooling for the over clock

and dont go stupid with the voltage

then no reason it will kill the cpu

I'm one. Been overclocking Intel chips since the Celeron 333MHz days of the late 90s sending it to 450MHz. Never have ruined a CPU yet. You just have to know what you are doing. Still rocking a 2009 E8400 that was for two years run at 4.5GHz. It's now back to stock as a general use PC. You can see my sig below for what I'm still rocking in day to day use.

coolerjoki

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

I would recommend buying a i7-7700 if you will never overclock because you are paying about $50 extra dollars for the i7-7700k (cooler and price). The i7-7700k does not come with a cooler so you need a cooler whether you are planning to OC or not. But since you might overclock in the future I would get a i7-7700k!

D

Deleted member 1560910

You are missing the point, Why overclock a 7700k when its already the fastest cpu for gaming ( not counting 7740x ) Sure you can overclock but if the OP is asking this kind of question than he isnt capable of overclocking. I only overclock if i need to. I didnt overclock my 4790k until half way through 6700k came out because i wanted to try and make up the differene. Are you saying added heat doesn't degrade CPU's ? Are you saying that 7700k doesnt already have thermal issues ? Tell me more please.

i dont overclock for gaming

i do all sorts of stuff on here and only game now and then so the extra 12% or so at 5ghz over the 4.5ghz turbo is of benefit to me--in fact its probably more than 12% since all cores are overclocked unlike turbo

and i have adequate cooling for it even though 7700k does run hot thanks to intel not using solder

and i dont use silly voltages

does added heat degrade cpus?

my old 2600k is still going strong at 5ghz 6 years later so if it does degrade it i still cant tell after 6 years

but any way we are wandering off topic

if some one wants to create a + and - of overclocking thread then guess we can carry this on there instead of here

That's a good point that needs to be included here. It's not just the increased cost of the K-series, but the cost of needing an additional cooler. Fortunately there are ones that can be found in the $25 USD segment that can do a stock 7700K fine and be superior to the stock cooler that came with a 7700.

So for say $60 more total (current NewEgg pricing), you get a CPU in your build that runs 17% faster and cooler over the non-K. There are quite a few non-tinkerers out there who go this route - I've built rigs for them.

People vastly underestimate how much voltage it takes to kill a chip or cause it to start leaking. Most OC'ers just end up around 1.25V to maybe 1.3V or so on their overclocks; unless your CPU is hitting 90C on a regular basis, that's not going to "rek cpu chips."

TRENDING THREADS