Hp 3400 Pro vs R9 270

domrivers67

Prominent
Sep 7, 2017
Hi, I'm trying to build a budget gaming rig for my 11 year old
I have an Hp3400 pro office machine (i5 2400, 8gb 1333mhz) and I've fitted an R9 270 2gb card into its pcie 16x slot. (with an upgraded 650w Corsair PSU with the required two connectors)
Nothing, Nada, zilch on the screen, no way even into bios, no output to monitor at all from any plug
Nothing in the rather limited bios to help me out, there's no "secure boot" or "legacy" options to fiddle with.
The card spins up, and the machine switches off its on board Gpu when the card is in, but I have to remove it again (no easy task in this little case) to get into windows or bios
Puzzled now, there shouldn't be any legacy issues, nor power (now) the pcie is 16x on both
Any ideas people?

domrivers67

Prominent
Sep 7, 2017
I don't have one unfortunately, I'm going to try going from Bios 7.14 to 7.16, though the release notes don't suggest anything that may help, Ive also updated the chipset drivers etc etc
looking on Futuremark theres a few that have obviously got them to work, and Ive found a few others around (for sale etc), so Im not giving up yet, the card is much of the same era as the PC so there shouldnt be any major issues, its got enough power going to it, both are pcie x 16 etc, there shouldnt be any legacy bios issues going on etc
its got me stumped, I cant even access BIOS with the R9 in there

domrivers67

Prominent
Sep 7, 2017
The recommended cards on HP's site are based around the original PSU's capability (little 300w) so that was the first to get pulled. I should have ample power, but all the R( does is sit there spinning its fans
Swine to get in and out. it fits with no spare room