will fx 8350 cpu and 16gb 1600mhz ram work with M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3?

vlad.fil37

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017
so im getting a new pc just for some medium gaming on a budget, i already had a gtx 960 4gb and 16gb ddr3 1.5v ram at 1600mhz and an fx 8350 8 core 4ghz

pc part picker website did not note any issues with the build but im not sure.

im concerned that the fx 8350 might not work with the motherboard because it needs alot of power (i have 550w psu that should handle my system fine according to pc part picker)

im also concerned about the ram as it says "1600mhz (o.c)", now i know oc means overclocked but could i just put regular 2 non overclocked 1600mhz sticks of ram in it and expect it to work fine???

im not that knowledgeable in computer hardware and thats why im worried that it might not work

Solution
The board isn't really spectacularly suitable for a 125w 8 core but will manage IF you refrain from using a tower cooler .

It will run one without throttling though if you stick with the stock cooler or an aftermarket downblower because you absolutely need to keep the vrm temps below 70c.

Its a 4+1 phase but the MOSFETs & caps are good quality at least.
There are a 100 better choices of board you could have made but also a lot worse ones

Ram - will run at 1600 non-issue at all , just enter bios & change the preset to 1600 - it will likely default to 1333 on first bootup.

vlad.fil37

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

"thermal master" its some generic power supply i got with my cooler master case a while back.
the model nuber is "tm-550-psar-m3", not that conserned about powersaving and the psu was powering my temp computer with a core 2 duo and and a gtx 960 so i hope its fine just for a few weeks of use untill i can get a better one

vlad.fil37

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

but will it work? because i looked around for a bit and people here say it should work fine, im not looking to overclock or anything.

vlad.fil37

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

i will run the the board in open space (without the case) and can i point a fan on it or something to keep it cool because i already ordered the motherboard of amazon and its coming on tuesday and it will be a pain to ship back

Even when not overclocking under prolonged high cpu usage (like gaming) the VRM's will very likely overheat even with a lot of cooling, the VRM's are the most basic 4+1 design with no heatsinks. Really 125w needs a 8+1 design with heatsinks.

I had assumed you already had the motherboard, why on earth are you buying an FM3+ motherboard and FX CPU in 2017, its borderline obsolete and there are much better choices for similar money.

The board isn't really spectacularly suitable for a 125w 8 core but will manage IF you refrain from using a tower cooler .

It will run one without throttling though if you stick with the stock cooler or an aftermarket downblower because you absolutely need to keep the vrm temps below 70c.

Its a 4+1 phase but the MOSFETs & caps are good quality at least.
There are a 100 better choices of board you could have made but also a lot worse ones

Ram - will run at 1600 non-issue at all , just enter bios & change the preset to 1600 - it will likely default to 1333 on first bootup.

Solution

vlad.fil37

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

i have the fx 8350 already i was just buying a motherboard for it and it looked like it could handle gaming just fine since im not trying to go "ultra 60 fps" just trying to play high at something above 40 and this cpu seemed to do fine with that

vlad.fil37

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

i am using the stock amd cooler and will be running it in the open(no case) could it work, if something i can point another fan at the vrms (just learned what they are) to try to keep it cool.

also what could be a board that i can get that has the requirements to handle the fx 8350 that is within the price range?

IN that price range,none really mate.
Maybe the gigabyte 78lmt-usb3 but really theres nothign between them.
If youre using the stock cooler which cools the vrm setup too you will be fine at stock speeds.

That asus & the gigbyte I just mentioned are the only older 760g chipset boards I would even consider using with a 125w 8 core.

Otherwise you have to move up to a $100 or so 970 series board.

vlad.fil37

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

I guess my only choice here is too see if it runs acceptable when it arrives, if not then I would have to return it and sell an arm and a leg buying a ryzen 3 cpu since it's a lot more expensive :(

So that no-name brand PSU is replace immediately, dont run your system hard with that PSU, otherwise you are putting all your parts at risk.
Core 2 Duo and fx-8350 are very different power requirements.

Stock downward facing cooler will be just fine for stock speeds.

With proper case setup, having system in a case is better for cooling then leaving it out on bench.
On the bench it has more open airflow; this is better then a case with poor cooling, but actually worse then a decent case/cooling solution.
A good case has a mix of intake and exhaust fans and by having the low-bottom intake to top-rear exhaust it is able to remove the heat more effectively while having a constant flow of fresh cool intake. This directed flow of air allows the heat to be exhausted more effectively vs just being on the bench.

Not to mention an exposed system is a beverage spill or dropped screw/piece of metal away from being shorted and destroyed.

vlad.fil37

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017
So i got the motherboard today and desided to try it out, and to say im really impressed with it, many people said its gonna be thermal throttling with the fx 8350 but i found it stayed really really cool and never dropped down below 4ghz with full load running for like 1 minute temperatures did not go higher than 54c (note i only ran it for about a minute)

now i did use a ghetto solution to prevent any throttling that may of happened (i was still worried trying it) by placing a fan between the cpu fan and the vga motherboard connector. (the fan is powered externaly, i did a mod for the fan for it to use the wall adapter so it runs nondepended of the computer)

here are some pics

https://imgur.com/a/VPB8a

https://imgur.com/a/apx7D

Crysis 3 is running at 40 fps on max settings with cpu staying at 45c (when i take my headphones of thoe it sounds like a jet engine xD but i dont mind since i cant hear it with headphones and my friend cant hear it over the mic)

vlad.fil37

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

Sorry for the late reply,

Yes i did accidentally try it without the extra cooler as i forgot to turn it on one of the days, i was playing gta 5 for about an hour before i noticed that the extra cooler was not there, the cpu still stayed cool and fps was the same as it was with the cooler without any drops, fx 8350 was running at 4.2ghz.

i think i might of gotten an updated version of the motherboard because the bios version was from 2016 (as far as i know this motherboard came out much earlier than that, also the ram worked straight up at 1600mhz where other people said it defaults to 1333mhz before you change it in the bios.

i do have a problem with ram channels doe, for some reason the motherboard wont post with 2 sticks of ram in it, it states it supports upto 32gb but putting 2 sticks of 8gb (16gb total) it does not post and no beep code, the fans on cpu, gpu, psu. spin but nothing else. 1 stick at the time works fine in any ram slot and so does the other when its used individually but no post with both of them

vlad.fil37

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

i mixed and matched the slots, i tried slot 1, 3. slot 2, 4 slot 1,4,
both sticks post by them selves in any slot but as soon as another one is added nothing happens on screen

vlad.fil37

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

i dont see the option of changing the ram speed in bios

vlad.fil37

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

i did that and it did post but now its stuck on windows 10 logo (no spinning dots at the botom just the logo)

the timings were set to auto which was t2 and i changed the dram speed to 1333 (the stick that was in it booted fine so i shut down the computer and put the other stick in, and it posted when i turned it on but when windows began loading its just stuck on the logo now) should i restart or wait?