$600 gaming build

theniceguy9112

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
I'm looking into building a new gaming pc since my current build is getting to the point of barely running windows 10. Curious to know what people think of what I have picked out, and if there is anything that I can improve. Currently have a Radeon 5850 graphics card so I don't have a new one listed because of it. Thanks for the input!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD45R8569
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9TS3N29982
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231952
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157635R
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117560

Solution
^ features - all unnecessary gummph & marketing speak imo.

Gaming lan & land protect ?? Hmmmm - gigabit lan is gigabit lan imo

Gaming certified ?? - hmmm - again what does that mean exactly ???

Rgb/mystic sync ?? Load of tosh , if someone wants led lighting they'll fit their own , its cheap enough nowadays & ALL the b350 boards have rgb led headers on them.

Don't get me wrong some of the higher end 'gaming' monikored boards have extra high component quality, better audio chipsets , better man chipset etc - for most people it just doesn't matter though at all especially on a budget.

The cheap gigabyte & MSI 'gaming' boards have fancy red highlights on the PCI slots etc - that's about vthe extent of that gaming moniker IMO.

The pc...
first of all
the SSD sucks, only 64GB? barely enough for the OS dude...
u're getting a skylake, which is already at the end of line, with the upcoming coffelake otw, i really suggest u to get either Ryzen / wait for coffelake instead (will require a 3XX series mobo)
your GPU needs replacement if u want to play the newer games at respectable fps

Suggestion:
sell your PC now and build a whole new rig
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dJNg9W
something like this will get you better performance (it's above your budget a bit, but by selling the rig u have now, i think u'll manage)
others might be able to provide u with better build, since i'm not really experienced in making builds like this, i can offer the technical specs, but finding the deals, i'm suck at that

This is what you should be getting for that price:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($156.08 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU800 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($53.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.87 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card ($144.99 @ B&H)
Total: $604.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-10 01:34 EDT-0400

Much, much better performance.

u forgot about the power supply, he's gonna end up with a rig that can't even power up :pt1cable:

ah yes, u're right

but if we're recommending a new build, might as well suggest a good case and PSU as well, after all, it is a "recommendation"

Well then that would exceed the budget. It's either exceed the budget, or compromise on other components. I'd rather avoid doing either, hence recommending only those parts which have been asked for.

theniceguy9112

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017

I didn't include the case, power supply, and GPU because I already have those from my previous build. However, I really like how everything you posted runs right at my budget, which is pretty awesome.

This does bring up a new question though. The motherboard I have currently is an ATX. Will a mini ATX mount inside the case I have, or should I get a new one of those as well?

A case that supports an ATX motherboard is highly likely to support micro-ATX boards as well. Till date, all cases I've seen reviews on do have this feature. You can, of course, check the manufacturer's website to check for motherboard form factor support, but it most likely will support micro-ATX [strike]case[/strike] motherboards as well.

let's hope that ur previous PSU is enough (both quality & wattage), i don't mind about the case but the PSU might be concerning, that's why i mentioned that point on the post above

theniceguy9112

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017

The PSU I have is 650 watts and is 80 silver rated. Not sure on what the RMS is. I bought it three years ago when I got a bigger GPU.

that should be more than enough for Shektron's build then :)

@shektron - I'm not dissing your board choice - I understand you did that to keep as close to $600 as possible.

The pc mate is better though , 4 ram slots , full atx , much more expansion options , better vrm setup .

The main reason though is simply that a lot more people own the pc mate (a lot of members on here)

If it comes to troubleshooting anything you're more likely to get useful help with that board than the matx gaming, that's the main reason.

@madmatt30 just asking
but why do people prefer the pc mate than the mortar? wasn't the mate series released for company-purpose instead of gaming? i mean, the gaming series would have some extra gaming feature that would benefit gamers right? (especially with MSI known as a gaming brand so their gaming-edition products should be better.... right?)
but why do when people recommend budget build, they always go with the pro edition instead of the gaming edition?

i'm curious since many people here tend to recommend Asrock Pro / Msi PC mate / etc instead of their gaming-series counterpart
(other than the price perspective)

Yeah, no worries. I know you weren't dissing me. I was just justifying my choice.

Constantine - Gaming is just a suffix. There's nothing like 'gaming features' on a motherboard - just different designs.

i'm referring to this kind of extra feature / what u called "design":
GAMING LAN with LAN Protect: The best online gaming experience with lowest latency and bandwidth management
In-Game Weapons: Game Boost, GAMING Hotkey, X-Boost, Xsplit Gamecaster
GAMING CERTIFIED: 24-hour on- and offline game and motherboard testing by eSports players
GAMING LEDs: Ambient LED lights for an awesome look & feel
Mystic Light Sync: Synchronize other RGB solutions with your gaming rig and control all LEDs in one click

are this feature doesn't worth the extra 10$? that's why people recommend the pro series instead of gaming series for budget gamer?

except maybe for the In-Game weapon feature, everything else is something any good board should have, gaming or not. The 'Gaming' LAN is just normal LAN with a bit of more protection. The Gaming certified is just that the board has undergone stability testing, something all boards undergo. LEDs are present in most mid to high end boards now, irrespective of their name/series. Again, the synchronized lighting is also just a feature with the word gaming added unnecessarily to it.

i see, thanks for the info mate :) so basically it's just same mobo with extra "gaming" suffix, exaggerated feature naming, and extra price :eek: i just hope that those In-Game weapon feature worth the extra 10$

^ features - all unnecessary gummph & marketing speak imo.

Gaming lan & land protect ?? Hmmmm - gigabit lan is gigabit lan imo

Gaming certified ?? - hmmm - again what does that mean exactly ???

Rgb/mystic sync ?? Load of tosh , if someone wants led lighting they'll fit their own , its cheap enough nowadays & ALL the b350 boards have rgb led headers on them.

Don't get me wrong some of the higher end 'gaming' monikored boards have extra high component quality, better audio chipsets , better man chipset etc - for most people it just doesn't matter though at all especially on a budget.

The cheap gigabyte & MSI 'gaming' boards have fancy red highlights on the PCI slots etc - that's about vthe extent of that gaming moniker IMO.

The pc mate isn't my favourite board either but its just proven to be solid with ryzen overclocking & with ram speeds.

I stuck with the asrock pro4 myself , why??

Twin m2 slots , full set of 6 sata ports , 6+2 vrm setup , nice clean layout , good component quality , fairly old nic & audio chipset but they're good enough , anyone really worried about audio would use a DAC/headphone amp anyway or be using HDMI arc from the GPU for a surround receiver.
Main reason was I wanted black/white though & its $30 cheaper than anything else that colour.

In essence 'gaming' for me means a few shiny shinies on the board but nothing really of great importance performance wise

In essence nothing wrong with that matx board shektron listed at all , it will plain & simple do the job fine.

$10 extra though ?? Op already has a full atx case , I'd just go full atx board plain & simple.

& really the only reason the Asus prime , PC mate, pro 4 are as popular as they are is the fact they're decent full size atx boards for around the $80 mark.
On a personal basis I see no need for the purchase of the $170-250 high tier boards for ryzen , it has low tdp demands compared to the old am3+ chips where really you need something extra high quality to overclock the 125w chips.

Every time someone does a build with a $250 asus rog board & then cuts the quality of other components or ends up with a weaker CPU or GPU than they could have it kills me.

Solution