gt 1030 low profile bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

motojax2002

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
someone on another thread said that a gt 1030 low profile works with UEFI bios and i dont know what that is so would a gt 1030 low profile work with normal bios on a dell optiplex 780 mini tower motherboard

Solution
That is good news. As Dell is a very large vendor, you will find multiple revisions of a motherboard, or even totally different motherboards, in the same model line up. So it still isn't a 100% guarantee of compatibility. Check Dell's support site for any available BIOS updates.

The difference between low profile and full height cards at this price point are minor. The GPU is small, the memory usually only a few modules, and power requirements low. Basically comes down to cooling effectiveness and the default clock settings provided for the GPU and memory. A larger card is more likely to stay cooler longer and offer greater boost clocks. Bigger usually also means quieter, a tiny fan will make a more high pitched noise that will carry...

freercurse

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2016
my experience with manufactured MoBo's is that they will design the board to only work with hardware they want.
however uefi mode on a MoBo, is basically a compatibility mode that allows for legacy hardware. here is instructions. but bios can be a lot different from each other, the option should be the same, but it may be in a different place./

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
UEFI is not a compatibility mode, it is the replacement for the older BIOS technology.

Late model Nvidia cards require a UEFI BIOS to function. Some will still work in an OS on a BIOS equipped board, but not in the BIOS menu itself, which can make setting up a machine impossible. Others will flat out not work.

For older systems I recommend stopping at the 700 series from Nvidia or the 200 series from AMD. RX400 and RX500 series cards do have better compatibility with older OEM systems from what I can tell.

When it comes to OEM systems, like Dell, hit up their forums and see if anyone has made an attempt at getting an Optiplex 780 working with a GT1030. Effectively BIOS updates that might add support for new hardware are few and far between on OEM systems, they are considered disposable computers.

motojax2002

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017

i just found this video he uses the same pc and same card and it works so i guess im good.......i hope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHTMZHcFaJE&list=WL&index=1&t=86s

Low profile and full height are just form factors of the card, they have nothing to do with motherboard compatibility. The UEFI thing can cause problems, but if you have found evidence someone else has tried it with the same model computer and it works, that's great. There are so many configurations of these pre-built systems that it's impossible for anyone to tell you definitively that yes it will work, or no, it won't work. Actually putting a card in the computer is the only way to know for sure.

motojax2002

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017

yeah i was wondering about that a few days ago so is a gt 1030 low profile just as good as the normal gt 1030

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is good news. As Dell is a very large vendor, you will find multiple revisions of a motherboard, or even totally different motherboards, in the same model line up. So it still isn't a 100% guarantee of compatibility. Check Dell's support site for any available BIOS updates.

The difference between low profile and full height cards at this price point are minor. The GPU is small, the memory usually only a few modules, and power requirements low. Basically comes down to cooling effectiveness and the default clock settings provided for the GPU and memory. A larger card is more likely to stay cooler longer and offer greater boost clocks. Bigger usually also means quieter, a tiny fan will make a more high pitched noise that will carry more easily then a larger fan.

Solution

motojax2002

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017

i'm just gonna buy it if it doesn't work ill just sell and buy one that works. If it doesn't work any recommendations on what card I should get

II Pc User II

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

Did you find out if your computer was legacy or uefi?

Status
Not open for further replies.