i3 2120 performance in games

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017
My cousin wants to build a computer to play War Thunder and browse the web. He wants it to be upgradable in the future. I found an i3 2120 in my desk which I forgot I had.
How would the i3 2120 handle war thunder at 900p 60 fps with a good graphics card?
For comparision with computers I have, how would it compare with the i5 4440 and a ryzen 5 1400?
Would that i3 be able to run other new games fairly well?
(keep in mind my cousin doesn't have a lot of money so unless he got a bunch from his parents we're building him somthing very cheap)

Solution
Chances are you will be able to play somewhat newish games like war thunder, but if your going for an expensive video card or if you also have to buy a motherboard and ram for the i3 2120, dont go for it. Intel's 8th gen desktop processors will be out very soon, and at the lowest end of its line up, the Pentium, will offer much better performance at around $50.

May I ask what would be your budget for the entire system?
Chances are you will be able to play somewhat newish games like war thunder, but if your going for an expensive video card or if you also have to buy a motherboard and ram for the i3 2120, dont go for it. Intel's 8th gen desktop processors will be out very soon, and at the lowest end of its line up, the Pentium, will offer much better performance at around $50.

May I ask what would be your budget for the entire system?

Solution

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017
His budget right now is 300 dollars, but he's going to be getting money soon, how much, I do not know. We're going to make his a modern system though. He wants a ryzen 1600 and 16 gigs of ram. I was just asking about the i3 cause I thought it might be usefull. I might use it to make an email machine for my great aunt!

Save the 300 dollars until you have more money for the final build. I would not recommend buy a Ryzen 1600 at the moment, Intel's 8th gen processors are right upon us and Intels i5 8400 and i5 8600 should outperform the Ryzen 1600 in gaming and with its 6c/6t like the Ryzen 1600, I dont expect the Ryzen 1600 to be better anymore where multitasking etc is concerned.

horsemam321

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
Ryzen 5 1400 at 3.6-3.8Ghz would be a fantastic upgrade from an older i3, the current AM4 platform should be compatible with the next run of Ryzen chips as well. Somehow I doubt you are buying higher end graphics cards, so you don't need to spend most of your budget on CPU and motherboard like you would with an Intel system.