Sep 17, 2017
So I found a someone locally who's selling a system that's got:

4th gen i3
Gigabyte Z97x Black Edition
12GB of 1600 MHz DDR3
Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-3
some generic casing

All for an equivalent of ~US$330.

I really only need a PC for video editing and rendering (not 4K video, nor RAW video...yet!), and some mild audio work.
Think DaVinci Resolve, Premiere Pro CC, FL Studio.

The only games I play, and that too occasionally, don't need any sort of high specs whatsoever.
If I can build a dual-boot Hackintosh out of the system, then its even better, since I can work in FCPX too.

Factoring in the cost of an upgrade to a quad-core 4th gen later on down the line, and 1 or 2 SSDs, should I go for this deal?
Or am I better off with a newer system with a mid-tier Ryzen and DDR4?

EDIT: I already have an ASUS ROG G46V as my daily driver, and it's got an i7-3630QM, 2GB GTX660m, and 8GB of RAM. I also have a 28" Samsung 4K U28E590D which I can't use at it's full potential because my laptop doesn't have a DisplayPort (can't have 4K@60p over HDMI with this monitor).

Solution

For $530 you can find something better. Knowing I am going to buy something and not even use the CPU is spending money. Always invest it.

yung_sushi

Reputable
Sep 17, 2017

So, if I were to factor in the cost of an i7 4xxx (I'm guessing around $200 more), is this still worth getting, as opposed to a newer Ryzen system?

yung_sushi

Reputable
Sep 17, 2017

No idea, but does it really matter much anyway (since it's going to be a dual-core anyway, and I will swap it with a quad-core i5 or i7 later on)?

For $530 you can find something better. Knowing I am going to buy something and not even use the CPU is spending money. Always invest it.

Solution