RX 580 drivers for Windows 8.1 / Upgrade to Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomskiPlays

Reputable
Apr 27, 2017
So I was using Windows 10 when I nuked my HDD to reinstall Windows on my new SSD.
Now I am using Windows 8.1 but my GPU, the RX 580, is not being detected by the device manager. I have tried to install the Windows 10 and the Windows 7 drivers because I didn't find any for my version. Either way: Nothing

So is there a way to get the proper drivers or upgrade to Windows 10 for free again?

Thanks

Solution
Download the windows media creation tool and create a bootable flash drive then run the installer from the flash drive and select upgrade. Otherwise do a fresh install from boot. You don't need to activate windows 10 to use it. Activation only removes the water mark in the corner and enables desktop customization. But you can just download a wallpaper and right click it and select use as background

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Download the windows media creation tool and create a bootable flash drive then run the installer from the flash drive and select upgrade. Otherwise do a fresh install from boot. You don't need to activate windows 10 to use it. Activation only removes the water mark in the corner and enables desktop customization. But you can just download a wallpaper and right click it and select use as background

Solution

DomskiPlays

Reputable
Apr 27, 2017

Mhm I kinda didn't think of that even though it is the most obvious solution. There is a whole different problem because previously when I had it my key stopped working after installing a new mobo. Currently chatting with Microsoft support and if I'm lucky they'll get me a new one.

Thank you for pointing it out! :)

yes if you didn't upgrade to windows 10 before changing the mobo you are likely out of luck because windows 10 allows you to make a hardware change like that now. your best bet is to do a clean install of windows 10 and try you windows 8 key and see if it activates it

DomskiPlays

Reputable
Apr 27, 2017

Yup here is the big NoNo. When I had Windows 10 I tried the troubleshooting but my key didn't work. I will have to negociate with support and hope for the best. Otherwise I just have to buy a new key. I'm going to do the USB Installation now though. I really want to game again

Jan 13, 2015
Extracting the drivers from the newest executable, disabling driver signature enforcement\manually installing through device manager did it for me. Still on windows 8.1. Don't understand why they did not make an official driver for windows 8, seems like <mod edit> to me.

<Moderator Warning: Watch your language in these forums>

Status
Not open for further replies.