i5 7500 - b250 vs h170 bottleneck?

sam01cox

Prominent
Sep 20, 2017
Hi, I have decided to upgrade to a i5 7500 from my i3 6100. I was wondering whether or not a B250 motherboard vs an h270 motherboard would hold back the performance of the 7500, because it has less PCie lanes e.t.c, or will it make no difference? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Sam

Solution
Unless you're using all those PCI-E lanes(highly unlikely), the fewer number wouldn't limit any performance. Make sure you update your motherboard BIOS because the factory BIOS on H170 motherboards does not support 7th gen processors. They will be compatible once you are on the latest BIOS.

Also, what do you use the system for? If you use it for gaming, it might be a good idea to avoid upgrading right now, and upgrade both your CPU and motherboard when the 8th generation of Intel CPUs launch, because those won't run on either B250 or H170, and they have some serious upgrades up their sleeve.
Unless you're using all those PCI-E lanes(highly unlikely), the fewer number wouldn't limit any performance. Make sure you update your motherboard BIOS because the factory BIOS on H170 motherboards does not support 7th gen processors. They will be compatible once you are on the latest BIOS.

Also, what do you use the system for? If you use it for gaming, it might be a good idea to avoid upgrading right now, and upgrade both your CPU and motherboard when the 8th generation of Intel CPUs launch, because those won't run on either B250 or H170, and they have some serious upgrades up their sleeve.

Solution
the i5-7500 performs the same on an H170 as it does on a Z270....; optimally, the 7700K would be your best gaming upgrade, but, it runs about $350 at current pricing, plus a decent cooler is needed. (As already advised, upgrade your BIOS *before* the swap)

sam01cox

Prominent
Sep 20, 2017

sam01cox

Prominent
Sep 20, 2017
Ah okay. That's cleared something's up, butI made a typo, I meant H270 vs B250. Not H170 vs B250 That's cool about the Pcie lanes etc, as long as there is nothing else that would impact the performance, I will go ahead and update my bios, about the Coffee lake CPUs, I know about their smaller in size or something? And are supposed to be much better, but I'm afraid I need to upgrade now, I can't really wait any longer, my dual core i3 6100 is just not keeping up anymore and I have pre ordered project cars 2 and cod ww2, and the thing just won't cut it, I was originally going for a ryzen 5 1500x, but that would mean I would have to buy a new motherboard immediately, (different socket) but upon doing research it looks like intel CPUs still beat ryzen processors in gaming (even 10 to 15 fps can make a lot of difference), so what is your opinion on 1500x vs 7500??? Also one thing to note, I want a red and black motherboard that is aesthetically pleasing (good looking) as well to match the rest of my build so I would go with a H270 but not much in the way of ones from either gigabyte, MSI or Asus which I like the look of and have an h270 chipset.

Thanks, (sorry for essay). Sam

Look, I know that i3 must be...less than pleasing(coming from someone still running an i3 4150, doesn't run much). But a seventh gen i5 would be a foolish decision today. The 4 cores will be a limitation, the platform will become outdated within months, and your only upgrade path would be similar to your current situation with Ryzen - a CPU and motherboard upgrade. I know it's hard, but either wait for the next gen, or get a Ryzen 5 1600(don't go with the 1500X, that's still not good enough for future-proof gaming).

If you still want an upgrade right now, the difference between the H270 and B250 isn't much either. H270 will be a bit more high quality with more features, but B250 is all almost any common consumer needs. Seriously, the only two options when it comes two 7th-gen motherboards are B250 and Z270 - anything else is just there for the sake of it.

One last time, wait. Just somehow get by that i3 a little bit more, and you would be happy you did it.

Hopefully that answered all the questions you had, if I missed any, ask again.

sam01cox

Prominent
Sep 20, 2017

sam01cox

Prominent
Sep 20, 2017

sam01cox

Prominent
Sep 20, 2017
Okay, thanks for your input, I think i'll go with the Ryzen 5 1600, and just buy the original AM4 mobo i was thinking of getting with the 1500x, I Know you wouldn't recommend it as much as waiting for coffee lake, but i'm fed up with 18-30fps on Just cause 3, and I know that game is famous for not running very well on PC but it is hugely to do with the lack of processing power from my current CPU. And 6 cores and 12 Threads just sounds sooo much better than 4 cores 8 threads. I havent fully yet decided as I will now go and look at many benchmarks form the 1600 and my current graphics card. But thank you soo much you saved me almost a complete waste of 300 quid!

Cheers, Sam

Glad I could help :). And actually, the 8th gen i5 may not be as good as the Ryzen 5 1600, especially if you're playing with a 60 Hz monitor. At 60 Hz, the higher clock speed of Intel does not make a difference - both Ryzen CPUs and Coffee Lake CPUs are capable of 60 Hz gaming. Intel is better only if you have a high refresh rate monitor. For 60 Hz, Ryzen 5 1600 is a better deal since it has 12-threads, while the next gen i5's will only have 6 threads. This will allow the Ryzen CPU to last a bit longer than the 8th gen i5's.

sam01cox

Prominent
Sep 20, 2017