I5-7600(kabylake) or i5-8400(coffeelake)?

amit.rudy

Reputable
Sep 21, 2017
Iv been collecting money to build a gaming pc(nothing else) since January 2017 and i literally cant wait anymore... coffeelake is around the corner so i convinced myself to wait for 1 more month but today i found out that i5-8400's base frequency will be 2.8 Ghz whereas i5-7600's base frequency is 3.50Ghz... the only pro i see in coffeelake is more cores which as far as i know doesn't matter in gaming pc... A gaming pc needs powerful single core rather 6 weak cores... I will get a gtx 1060 6GB(my budget wont allow me to buy GPU higher than this)...So i wanted to know guys do u think i should wait for coffeelake or go on with i5 7600?

Solution

TwilightRavens

Reputable
Mar 17, 2017

Well with AMD pushing the "more cores initiative" a lot of games have started to benefit from more cores, though in my own opinion 4 cores will be enough for the foreseeable future. Anyway to answer your question if you did go and buy now instead of waiting on coffee lake I would recommend the 7700k because more threads. But then with coffee lake you still have 2 more cores even if it doesn't have hyperthreading.

But yeah mostly a strong single core will still get you further most of the time, thats why I haven't even bothered upgrading from my broadwell as it and haswell are still pretty close in terms of skylake and kaby lake, only obvious benefit there is DDR4. But yeah either would last you just as long i'm sure.

amit.rudy

Reputable
Sep 21, 2017

Im not a fan boy of intel but i have always used intel thats why i still want to buy an intel processor. I would have definitely tried ryzen if i had any connection with content creation, video editing etc. In my research i have found out that if you are only gaming then intel is best and if you are gaming/video editing/content creating/streaming then buy a ryzen.
Thanks for your opinion but here in india buying an i7-7700k will go beyond my budget cause i will have to buy a motherboard that supports OC which will be expensive than the board that doesn't support OC.

TwilightRavens

Reputable
Mar 17, 2017

whoops sorry, i mean the 7700 (non k) and in theory if you buy a unlocked cpu you can stick in a non overclocking board, many have done it because they are simply higher clocked than the locked version, though doing so you still wouldn't be able to overclock it, but you would still receive the higher stock clocks.

Solution