i5-3450 & Gtx 1060, bottleneck?

mad_ragnarok

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
Hello everyone, I was considering upgrading my PC build to a new graphics card, the thing is that I don't know if the one I'm aiming for, the Gtx 1060 3GB, will cause a huge bottleneck in recent and future games. All I want is to play games on ultra-very high settings on 1080p
Can you guys tell me what you think?.
Besides, do you think it is worth to go for the Gtx 1060 with 6GB?

My setup:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3450
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H, LGA 1155
PSU: ThermalTake 550W
HDD: Seagate 500 GB + Seagate 500 GB
GPU: Nvidia GTS 250 1 GB
RAM-1: Kingston Hyperx Genesis 4 GB ddr3 1600 Mhz
RAM-2: Kingston Hyperx FURY 4 GB ddr3 1600 Mhz

Solution
If you want to currently play very high/ultra settings @1080p. 1060 6gb is the bare requirement. (Some games can reach 3GB Vram quite easily). No matter which card you get it will be a big upgrade from your GTS 250. Your Cpu is still capable and I'd say anything higher than a 1060 6gb will be waste of money.
G

"All I want is to play games on ultra-very high settings". Yes, ultra-high can cause slowdowns on even the best GPU. Depends of the game, but future-wise, the 1060 isn't enough, even on 1080.

qasim1991

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
If you want to currently play very high/ultra settings @1080p. 1060 6gb is the bare requirement. (Some games can reach 3GB Vram quite easily). No matter which card you get it will be a big upgrade from your GTS 250. Your Cpu is still capable and I'd say anything higher than a 1060 6gb will be waste of money.

Solution

Cioby

Distinguished
Even tho your CPU can bottleneck you, a good GPU will still achieve the highest performance boost you can get. For 1080p 60fps it's enough for most games. Even Witcher 3 if you'er lucky. But for more than 60 fps or future proof, you'd need a 1070 for now. And then wait a bit and upgrade your CPU to a i7 when you get more money.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

if that is your aim then MINIMUM a gtx 1060 6gb, (you will need to lower settings on some games to get decent fps)

Ideally a gtx 1070 and an i7 3770k ( best cpu your motherboard supports )

mad_ragnarok

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
Thank you all for your answers, I think I'll go for the 1060 6GB, also I want to upgrade the setup CPU to the new gen. I've been watching benchmark and comparison videos about the Intel's Kaby Lake i5 and Ryzen 5. Most of them show that the Ryzen have a minor CPU usage when playing, I'm guessing is because of the 6 cores that can handle 12 threads, and the i5 usage are up to 80%-100%. In both cases the GPU shows a GPU usage of 90-100%. Does that mean that the Ryzen 5 are better for gaming? And if is the case, why the i5 have a better perform?

What do you think is the best?

angrybeaver121084

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
So there is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

First people are completely uneducated/uninformed on how bottlenecks work and affect your experience.

My answer: a 1060 6gb will be plenty to play most games on max settings with a few needing a few settings turned down, but the turn downs will not be drastic enough that you will really notice and will not hurt the emersion of the game.

Now on the topic of a bottleneck. All cpus even a 8700k/7700k will bottleneck a video card. Want to see it? Turn your resolution to 720p with a decent card.

This happens because of how Draw calls work. The more load you out on your gpu, the less your cpu needs to do and vice versa. This is because the less stress on your gpu the higher frame rates go the more frame rates the more Draw calls until you generate more than your gpu can process.

Now as I said all cpus can be bottlenecks. The important point is WHERE that bottleneck occurs. So if you play at say 60 fps then anything over that is lost anyways. So while a 7700k might not bottleneck until you hit 240fps in a title... the less powerful 3450 for example might bottleneck at 165 fps. So they both hit their limit.. So you need to determine where that limit falls in respect to things like monitor refresh or if it will take you into subpar fps.