can the gt 640 1gb gddr3 lp work on dell optiplex 3010 sff?

erosvargas32

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
Hi, i have a dell optiplex 3010 sff and i want buy a gt 640 1gb gddr3 low profile but my question its, will it work?
my psu have 240w.

Solution

I'd have to see the exact cards in question, but they are both a bit much for the 240W PSU to handle safely over a long time period. And if you were going to chance using that high wattage a card on that PSU, the GTX 1050 Ti would be safer and faster. But, like the above, still not recommended unless you do so at your own risk.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I'd have to see the exact cards in question, but they are both a bit much for the 240W PSU to handle safely over a long time period. And if you were going to chance using that high wattage a card on that PSU, the GTX 1050 Ti would be safer and faster. But, like the above, still not recommended unless you do so at your own risk.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

"300W" is a bit of a relative term. Total wattage doesn't mean much for gfx cards. It is all about the +12V rail that matters. And finding a replacement 300W PSU to fit that Optiplex SFF is darn near impossible. If you have one in mind, please link me to it. I could use one for my Optiplex 790 SFF ;)