1050 2GB or 1050ti 4GB Laptop

srkimilosevic

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
Guys, I want to buy a new laptop and I have 2 options:
1. 7300HQ CPU with 1050 2GB GPU
2. 7700HQ CPU with 1050ti 4GB GPU

Second one costs around 255 dollars more than the first one. I will use it mainly for playing World of warcraft, F1 2017 and GTA V, for AutoCAD drafting and some JAVA coding.

My question is, is 255 dollars more justified for stronger CPU and GPU? Which is my best choice?

Thanks a bunch

Solution
For the games that you play you will not notice much of a difference between the i5-7300HQ and i7-7700HQ alone. Sure the i7 is up to 300MHz faster than the i5, but that will only give you a very small increase in performance if the game is CPU dependent. The i7 also has Hyper Threading (HT), but none of the games you play take advantage of HT. The only modern game I know of that benefits from HT is Overwatch and I think Rainbow Six can also take advantage of HT to some degree.

Therefore, the increase in game performance is going to be primarily due to the more powerful GTX 1050 Ti. See link below which will lead you to game benchmark comparisons between the GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti at Notebookcheck.net. Use it to determine if getting...
Since you can't upgrade your laptop once you get it, the better CPU and video card you get now, the better the system will run in the future. I am guessing you would want the system to last you more than a few years, in 3-4 years your video card will be a lot slower in modern games, so you would want the fastest one to minimize that.

srkimilosevic

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

So you are basically telling me that extra 255 dollars is worth giving?

Up to you really, if I was buying a laptop for gaming, yes I would spend the extra money on a faster system. You are looking at the cost over the life of the laptop also not just what you spend now. If you can spend the extra, is saving money now worth having a too slow system in 2 years vs one that is still OK for games then? You are looking at another year of use, maybe more, without having to drop settings too low or not being able to run newer games.

For the games that you play you will not notice much of a difference between the i5-7300HQ and i7-7700HQ alone. Sure the i7 is up to 300MHz faster than the i5, but that will only give you a very small increase in performance if the game is CPU dependent. The i7 also has Hyper Threading (HT), but none of the games you play take advantage of HT. The only modern game I know of that benefits from HT is Overwatch and I think Rainbow Six can also take advantage of HT to some degree.

Therefore, the increase in game performance is going to be primarily due to the more powerful GTX 1050 Ti. See link below which will lead you to game benchmark comparisons between the GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti at Notebookcheck.net. Use it to determine if getting GTX 1050 Ti is worth spending the extra $.

https://tinyurl.com/k6hyqjm

Solution