FX 8120 cpu temp really high at idle

gperea

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
I will try and keep this as condensed and factual as I can be!

Main points of system:
ASRock 970 3 (not R2)
AMD FX-8120 (factory cooler)
16gb corsair ram
Corsair 100R case with 5 fans
Win7 64bit

Verified problem/behavior:
- At presentation of desktop, CPU fan starts to rapid rise in RPM until it is at full on; reboot to BIOS to check fans
- In BIOS, cpu temp starts ~34*C ramp up to 54* within 2 minutes. Continues to rise and hold to ~59*c

Actions taken:
- Computer is shut down any time not in use; heat and noise of computer make the office unbearable
- Removed heatsink and fan, blew out heatsink with air compressor set to 22psi
- Cleaned off old thermal paste; reapplied after watching a youtube video about different techniques
- Started up and launched BIOS; no change in behavior
- Update latest bios (v2); no change in behavior
- Looked for and updated ASRock's AMD chipset (mostly USB and GPU updates from what I could tell); reboot, no change in behavior
- Entered into BIOS and clicked "reset uefi bios settings" to bring them to the defaults

So I have tried everything I can think of to monitor and check/change. I do not overclock, or manually mess with any voltages of the system.

Is there something I am missing from my troubleshoot? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Solution
There are two variations of the FX-8120, One is 95W TDP and the other is 125W TDP. Your MB will not support the 125W as Blackbird has stated the MB has poor thermal design and what that means is your VRMs will overheat. The Cooler that comes with the 8120 is not the best and I would upgrade to a more substantial unit.

gperea

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017

I've been running this combo for ~4 years (I think), and this is a fairly new issue to me. Is there a specific board you'd recommend? Slim pickings on newegg from what I could tell.

There are two variations of the FX-8120, One is 95W TDP and the other is 125W TDP. Your MB will not support the 125W as Blackbird has stated the MB has poor thermal design and what that means is your VRMs will overheat. The Cooler that comes with the 8120 is not the best and I would upgrade to a more substantial unit.

Solution