FX 6300 or Fx 8300 paired with Gtx 1050 ti

valentin.tanase87

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
I already have a AM3+ MOBO with max TDP of 95w support so, my only option to for CPU upgrade are FX 6300 or FX 8300 that I want to pair with a Gtx 1050 ti. Which CPU should I choose considering the clock speed and and overall performance in current game titles? Thanks.

Solution

parani

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
Aight .But there will be 20 to 30fps difference in fps based on games or even more in CPU intensive tasks . With the gtx 1050ti and fx 8300 ,you may get 45fps around at high settings ,there may be some drops here and there ,tweak few settings for 60fps around

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
Take this from someone who switched from a FX8350 to a 1700x. The FX line is still plenty capable of playing modern games at high FPS. If your budget limits you to a FX cpu for now, you will still have a very good gaming experience.

The below is from BF1 which is a game that can use the extra threads of an FX8xxx CPU so is best case for the FX8xxx series. Even the FX8370 falls behind a modern (cheap) i3. Personally I couldn't recommend investing any money in a low performing platform with no upgrade path. Its just throwing money away in my view.

bf1-cpu-benchmark-dx11.png

valentin.tanase87

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017

Switching to AM4 or Intel platform is not a viable solution because my budget doesn't allow me to buy a new mobo, ddr4 RAM and a more expensive CPU than FX 8300's price point.

I just need your advice regarding the overall gaming performance of FX 6300/8300 paired with GTX 1050 Ti. What makes undecided is the base frequency and L2 cache of these two CPU's.

Personally I think its a waste of money even if you have to wait and save a bit more, your spending money on a 7 year old platform. However out of those 2 the difference in games is small but don't expect to maintain 60 fps in modern AAA games, you will get drops into 40's and possibly 30's.

Solution

It will only perform better in games that can use 8 thread, in games that can't they should run nearly identical. In modern games that can actually use 8 threads neither has the single core performance of a modern CPU and is unlikely to perform that well.