I5 6400 vs i5 7500 with gtx 1060 6gb

Solution
The 6400 is slower than molasses in Siberia. It's regularly beaten by the budget i3-6100 in most games because it is so slow. The 7500 is a huge improvement over its older, slower cousin. But thats also due slightly to improvements in the motherboard between the skylake and kabylake base, ability to use 2400 ram vrs 2133 etc, so pairing up the cpu with the right mobo helps.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 6400 is slower than molasses in Siberia. It's regularly beaten by the budget i3-6100 in most games because it is so slow. The 7500 is a huge improvement over its older, slower cousin. But thats also due slightly to improvements in the motherboard between the skylake and kabylake base, ability to use 2400 ram vrs 2133 etc, so pairing up the cpu with the right mobo helps.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Huh? There's no difference in performance between 100 and 200 series chipset mobos. Even 100 series support 2400 MHz RAM with a Kaby Lake CPU.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Usb 3.1 type C native ports, thunderbolt 3.0, 24 vrs 20 pcie lanes, Intel optane native, hdcp 2.2, seriously better 4k streaming that doesn't use as much cpu, there's plenty of minor differences between the 100 and 200 series cpus/mobo's that a simple bios update doesn't change. Strictly performance wise, no, there's not much, if any benchmark performance difference, but actually using some of the differences can change the performance to the user.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Ah, my bad, I usually differentiate between 'performance' and 'features'. So while there are a few minor feature differences between the 100 and 200 series chipsets, there are no performance differences. Also, HDCP 2.2 and 4K video decode are irrelevant if you have a discrete GPU, which the OP is obviously planning on getting.

That being said, there typically isn't much cost difference between 100 and 200 series mobos, so by and large you may as well get a 200 series one.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, my bad, I wasn't that clear. I tend to think big picture and lump performance in as the whole experience, not just the technical benchmarks. Realistically all mobo performance is the same in any given class, the high end boards doing better, but that's due to the cpu, but for standard boards, they are equal. It's only in the gimmicks that there's performance differences, and thats by vendor, things like asrock xfast lan is much faster than other vendors, things of that nature.

TRENDING THREADS