PLEASE HELP RX 580 or GTX 1060

Solution
Free sync only works with AMD cards. So if you want to be able to use the free sync feature, then you should get the AMD cards.

Both cards are great. Both companies are great. Both cards tie in performance. They tie in price. Both are a good buy.

So In your case, with everything being equal, the 580 comes ahead by the use of free sync.

If you had a gsync (Nvidia) monitor I would go with the 1060 to use that feature.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Usually I'd recommend a 6GB 1060, just due to pricing; overall a 580 & 1060 will trade blows back and forth.

Given the FreeSync nature of the monitor though, a 580 makes the most sense.
I'd opt for the cheapest 8GB 580 I could find, which today would be the ASUS Dual.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 8GB DUAL Video Card ($294.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $294.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-06 14:16 EDT-0400

There's also a 4GB variant for about $250, which would be a worthwhile consideration overall, although would definitely be a distant second in preference vs an 8GB model.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 4GB Dual Video Card ($254.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $254.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-06 14:17 EDT-0400

Neither 8GB 580 you suggested are "bad" options at all, I just feel they're a little more money than a 580 should warrant.

laptopuserr

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

Here in my country both GTX 1060 and RX 580 are priced the same. ( Both overpriced but i can't wait anymore)
So,which one is going to be the best choice and more future proof in terms of performance and driver support etc?
RX 580 or GTX 1060? And which model of those listed?
Thanks for the quick reply btw :)

Since you have a freesync monitor, go with the 580 all the way. There is not much difference between the 1060/580. Some games play better on 1060, others play better on 580.

If you are worried about future proofing, then get the 580 8gb model. Right now, most games don't require more than 4gb of VRAM at 1080p. But maybe some games will moving forward. VRAM becomes more important at higher resolution and I don't recommend either card for 1440p or 4K.

laptopuserr

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

Hmmm, that's what i'm wondering.. Is FreeSync worth the choice of going into RX 580?
Is it a good idea going with AMD for graphics card? Since Nvidia is actually well known for graphics cards?
It is my first build ever,so i'm a lot worried cause i won't upgrade anymore..

4745454b

Titan
If you didn't want freesync, why did you buy a freesync monitor? I normally tell people to get the 1060 because it is similar in performance yet uses less power. If they both cost the same and you have a freesync monitor you know what to get. I'm not sure why you are debating this?

laptopuserr

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

I would buy this monitor anyway. The question is if FreeSync is worth choosing RX 580 over GTX 1060. That's why i'm debating this.. As i said,because i'm not going to upgrade anymore for a long time,i want to get the card which is going to be better overall in the future in performance,driver support etc..
And i'm not sure if i should trust AMD for the graphics card.. I really like AMD,since i got Ryzen 5 over Intel i5,but do they support their graphics cards? Or should i go with Nvidia to be sure?
So we come back to the question,if FreeSync is enough for going into RX 580?
Or besides that,if it's a good graphics card overall.

4745454b

Titan
Because they trade blows I wouldn't argue one is better than the other. When people ask about them I do remind them that the 1060 uses less power, so the 1060 is a better buy because it will cost less to use it. If anything AMD cards perform better over the long haul as Nvidia tends to end support for cards faster. There are exception for both companies. Is freesync enough to dictate which card to get? I don't think so as I haven't got any sync monitor yet. If they trade blows and are priced the same however, I would get the 580 over the 1060. It will cost a bit more to run each year but what PSU you have might be a bigger factor.

laptopuserr

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

I know they almost perform the same for now.. The thing is should i get the RX 580 since i own a FreeSync monitor (so i can have an extra future and get my monitor to 75Hz) ,or just go with a GTX 1060 given it's a safer choice i guess ? .. Both guys answered that,considering the FreeSync i should go with RX 580.. But i'm not sure yet. Should i trust AMD? Hope it's gonna be powerful enough for the future against the GTX 1060..
My PSU will be Corsair TX650M.. It is on my parts if you give that a check.. You can suggest if anything is better at that price.. ( I'll check it in my country tho)

Free sync only works with AMD cards. So if you want to be able to use the free sync feature, then you should get the AMD cards.

Both cards are great. Both companies are great. Both cards tie in performance. They tie in price. Both are a good buy.

So In your case, with everything being equal, the 580 comes ahead by the use of free sync.

If you had a gsync (Nvidia) monitor I would go with the 1060 to use that feature.

Solution

laptopuserr

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

I know it only works with AMD cards.. If FreeSync is worth it,and RX 580 is even slightly better,then i will go for it.. If it doesn't really matter,then i think GTX 1060 would be a better choice? What do you think? Is it worth going with RX 580 or i will regret it?
I don't really care for FreeSync if only it's not making any big difference,if it is better to go for the GTX 1060 instead.

4745454b

Titan
Why are you so certain that AMD cards are bad? Untrustworthy? I've used a lot of ATI/AMD cards in my day, as well as many Nvidia ones. I could never tell which I had in my system. It's not like AMD cards only last for 1yr, or give a red tint, or have XXX happen to them after the warranty ends. I currently have an AMD GPU in my system and it's powering four 1080 monitors/TVs. Bad drivers is a "myth", that hasn't been the case for ~20yrs now. It's totally safe to buy a card from either company.

laptopuserr

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

You are probably right :) .. So is FreeSync worth it? Should i go with the RX 580? I will mostly play DX11 games i guess,is it a good choice? .. Or should i not care about the future and go with GTX 1060?
Also have you checked the models? Which one would you prefer for both RX 580 and GTX 1060?
Plus do you recommend this PSU? Is it a good tier PSU?
Thank you all for your time btw :)

4745454b

Titan
Or should i not care about the future

Again, you are making this so much harder than it should be. What does one card support that the other doesn't which makes it more "future proof"? They both support the same everything. Nothing about either card shows it's more ready for the future than anything else. If you were talking about the 580 vs the 980 future might come into play as Nvidia's VR tech isn't in the 9 series. These cards are more or less identical in everything! The 1060 uses ~50W less depending on model, while the 580 can come with lots of ram which means nothing right now. Depending on the game engine being used one might be faster than the other, but both will provide a similar experience.

The PSU is a good question, one that should have been asked before you bought it. I haven't read any reviews on the TX series. What little I've seen says the OEM is Great Wall, which isn't known for their high quality. You haven't even said what country you live in, so it's impossible for us to say if it's a good buy or not. I'm sure it will power one of those GPUs for many years.

laptopuserr

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

Well that's because i haven't bought it yet.. I still need to buy Graphics Card,PSU and RAM..
So is it any good? Or would you suggest something better than that? ( Prefer Semi modular ones cause of price)
Also i live in Greece.

Oh also, i didn't really got the answer if FreeSync is worth it or doesn't make any big difference.Any suggestions?

Adaptive sync (freesync) is awesome. It matches the refresh rate of your monitor with the frames being rendered wby the GPU. So it makes game play smooth as butter, but with zero lag that you get from
Vsync.

Freesync is one of the bigger advantages AMD has because the technology is not licensed. Where gsync (Nvidia version) cost around 200-300 more per monitor.

High refresh rate monitors have a better impact on visual quality than resolution in my opinion. Even moving from 60hz refresh to 75hz will be noticeable as you will be adding 25% more hz. With freesync enabled then you can get up to 25% more fps.

In my opinion, there is not really even a question of what card you should get. In fact, I think it would be foolish to buy the 1060. I say all this as a Nvidia owner, so there is no bias. The 580 is the clear winner by default because of freesync.

laptopuserr

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

Hmm,so as you guys say,considering the FreeSync i should go with AMD .. Which brand of the listed ones would you suggest? Gigabyte Aorus or MSI?
By the way,is that PSU a good choice?

Both of the cards are essentially the same. The chips inside are made by AMD and both have good cooling. I would get whatever is cheapest. Go with this PSU and save some money.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mqY8jX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mqY8jX/by_merchant/

Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $39.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-07 08:35 EDT-0400

laptopuserr

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

Hmm great.. I'll consider about choosing on RX 580 or GTX 1060,but you helped me side closer to RX 580.. I'll decide about the model.. I'm not sure if the Aorus model is good,i only see the Aorus XTR being used..

By the way,here PSU's are extremely overpriced.. This PSU is the same price as the other one i listed.. Like 100 euros.. So would you suggest this one i listed or the one you did or something else?
Is RM650x a better PSU? ( i'm talking about the 550w though)

Also similar to the price they are:
1) EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 (Y2)
2) EVGA 750 BQ
3) Corsair CX Series 650X
4) EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3
5) EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GQ v2
6) Corsair RMx Series 550X

4745454b

Titan
I would rather get the RM550 over the TX650. The RM series has been well tested, I can't find any reviews on the TX650. I saw something from a German site and was able to make out some details, but the RM series of PSUs has been tested by many people.

laptopuserr

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

Great.. Is RM550x gonna be enough for RX 580? Maybe with some overclock on the Ryzen 1600?
Also,is any of the listed PSU's up there any better than that?
Thanks a lot for your answers and time :)

4745454b

Titan
Options 1, 4 and 6 are the ones I'd pick. Probably get the cheapest of those three. The BQ and CX series I'd avoid unless they are the only options you have. They aren't fire starters, but why buy them if there is better quality around? I'm having some issues with the "3" series from EVGA. Tom's testing has shown the B3 series to have issues when the protection schemes are tested. I don't know if that carries over to the G3 series or not. The G2s are awesome, as is the RM of course.

laptopuserr

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

Great i wouldn't pick these ones also..I was between TX650m and RX550M.. What about the Option 5? ( EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GQ v2 )

So our choices are:
1) EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 (Y2)
2) Corsair RMx Series 550X
Or 3) should i pay 10 euros more and get the Corsair RM650x?

laptopuserr

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

Great,so isn't 5 euros worth for the RM650x?
If not should i choose RM550x over SuperNOVA 550 G2?
EVGA and Corsair ones i listed are about 10-15 euros difference.. I just want to get the best out of everything of my parts..