FX 6300 Oc'ed at 4.3 with 78c Temps at Prime95

dark_blitz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2012
guys I need some clarification about safe temps.

rIGh1Zy.png

(right click and select open image in new tab for a better view)

I'm trying to overclock my FX 6300 up to (atleast) 4.3ghz but now I settled for 4.1ghz I'm reaching temps at prime95 at 78c it's not peak but it's consistent, often times it plays at around 69 to 77.

I saw at PC gamer and some other posts around here at Tom'shardware that under 80c is still safe and that others say that it shouldn't hit 62c.

My idle temp plays around 34c to 44c with Chrome open and MSI afterburner. Lowest temp after boot is 23c.

My cooler is a modified Deep Cool ice edge. I know I should replace my Cooler but just for future references, What are the safest temps to OC with? is 79c ok? I'm sure I will only hit that if i'm under full load.

Planing to get a Cryorig H7 next month or a Kraken

THANK YOU!

Solution
Yeah if youre hitting a - thermal margin, your temps are too high.
Honestly, if you are within 1-2C you should be fine, because P95 is an unrealistic load. So long as your margin never reaches zero/negative when you are gaming, dont worry about it (hey, you could even OC a bit more, if thats all youll be doing).

An upgrade isnt easy, but you can probably get by with what you have for now, instead of throwing more money at it for minimal performance change.
Use AMD Overdrive to check your temps.
The offset method they use is typically the only "correct" way to measure it due to the confusion you described.

FX series processors have a lower operating maximum compared to other processors, rerun the tests with overdrive and post it.

Side note: Dont spend any more money on that processor. Save the money you are planning to spend on a cooler and put it towards a new processor+mobo+RAM.

dark_blitz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2012

yGp0vpD.png

I gave it a shot and ran the stress test for atleast 10 minutes. It went down to atleast -2 Degrees. At Idle it's at 31 degrees

Yeah I guess that would be the only option, but with the current market on processor right now, it's not a really an easy one.

Yeah if youre hitting a - thermal margin, your temps are too high.
Honestly, if you are within 1-2C you should be fine, because P95 is an unrealistic load. So long as your margin never reaches zero/negative when you are gaming, dont worry about it (hey, you could even OC a bit more, if thats all youll be doing).

An upgrade isnt easy, but you can probably get by with what you have for now, instead of throwing more money at it for minimal performance change.

Solution

dark_blitz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2012

Ok, thank you very much for the helpful info, I'll try experimenting with the temps with various games. Recently HWmonitor peaked 71 degrees for 6 hours of gaming with Chrome mostly on and it was on 4.1ghz.
Also thank you for the tip. I was wondering on replacing my Cooling fan since it's already 5 years old. bought it back in 2012.

I'm at around $80 ~ $100 and considering either liquid or air cooled. But most likely my option is Cryorig H7. It might be far off but I've been considering switching to Intel next year. What's the equivalence of a i5 - 4670 on the intel now?