FX-8350 Computer crashes

kaitosensei92

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
Hey Guys,

I just upgraded my computer from a fx-4170 to a fx-8350 and i also changed my gpu from a radeon hd7770 to a rx580.
Since then I get freezing displays, lost signals, a few bluescreens and mostly my whole computer just reboots or is shutting down completly.
Crashes occur seconds after booting, after hours of surfing or minutes of gaming, randomly.
First I thought its ja gpu driver problem, so I uninstalled the new one, put the old inside again, installed old driver but still the same problems.
I know that in the official list of my mobo the cpus arent listed for support but none of them and the old one with the old gpu worked for years.
So far I checked the temp and power consumption. GPU Temp was always under 70°C and cpu never above 50°C. Power was all together never over 300W and my power supply gets me 580W, so that should also be no prob.

Mobo: Asus m5a78l-m lx
cpu: first amd fx-4170 now amd fx-8350
gpu: radeon hd 7770 / radeon rx 580
power supply: dont know the exact product but 580W
ram: kingston hyperx 2x 4GB ddr3 sdram

Solution
That CPU is not supported by your motherboard. The max is 95W and the FX-8350 is 125W. Turn off "Turbo" in the BIOS and that should keep it at a more safe and stable limit. Or drop the multiplier down to around 36 or so and lower the CPU voltage a bit. Even if your FX-4170 wasn't listed a quad is going to place a lot less strain on it vs. an 8 core. The power delivery system of that motherboard is weak and you're pushing it too hard.
It's terrible, although the label says 580w by its own spec it can only deliver 384w on the 12v rail. A good 580w I would expect close to 550w on the 12v rail. Also from the brief things I found online its poor quality too so it probably no longer even meets its own spec.

kaitosensei92

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017

Now i changed to the "be quiet! System Power 8 600W" and after a bluescreen I just experienced one of the random reboots and on top it got stucked while booting.
So I guess it wasnt the old insufficient power supply.

jeffredo

Distinguished
That CPU is not supported by your motherboard. The max is 95W and the FX-8350 is 125W. Turn off "Turbo" in the BIOS and that should keep it at a more safe and stable limit. Or drop the multiplier down to around 36 or so and lower the CPU voltage a bit. Even if your FX-4170 wasn't listed a quad is going to place a lot less strain on it vs. an 8 core. The power delivery system of that motherboard is weak and you're pushing it too hard.

Solution