i5-8400 Overheating in TurboMode

oguz11

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
I have a problem with the CPU temps of i5-8400. While doing a stress test CPU temps go up to 85-95C and stays around 90 all the time. This also happens while playing 1080p/High settting games.

The only way to get decent and CPU temps is only by turning off the TurboMode in BIOS settings. While TurboMode is off i am getting a decent stable CPU temp at around (60-65C).Please note that the CPU temps only become an issue while the system is under load. The idle temps perfectly fine both with TurboMode On and Off. (35-55C)

The CPU cooler RPMs seem to be running at full speed 2500 max so the fan seems to be doing its job. The only thing that comes to my mind is that CPU cooler may have not been correctly installed meaning that there could be too much or too less thermal paste or something else. Or can this be something related to wrong BIOS settings? Do i need to tweak the settings?

My specs are;

Case: Define Nano S (mITX)
Motherboard: Asus Strix z370i
CPU: i5-8400
Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
PSU: Corsair RM550x

Solution
Off Topic:

What hurts me about your build is that you have to use a Asus Strix z370 on a budget processor, which is unfair. Intel business sucks ..

In my opinion next year is too long to wait to buy budget boards to start budget build. they will lose more than they want to gain and people will just buy old gen parts.

They should have allowed asrock, asus etc to sell their b and h boards on release of the budget processors.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What stress test are you running? Some represent a "fair" high-end workload, others are more "torture" than "stress"..... and understanding what you could reasonably expect is a good place to start.

Has your "stress test" of choice been updated to accurately stress CoffeeLake? Has your monitoring platform of choice been updated to accurately capture CoffeeLake temp info?

The i5-8400 is still a 65W TDP Chip, with the NH-L9i capable of 95W
http://noctua.at/en/nh_l9i_tdp_guidelines

I'd suspect temps are not being captured correctly..... but can't confirm that, obviously.

oguz11

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017

Thanks for the reply. I am running Asus' own Utilities software to run the stress test. Also running HWMonitor at the same time. Also using HWmonitor on the side while running games to monitor the temps. Overwatch High settings at 1080p also pushes the CPU to 90C so with an 1060 GTX it shouldnt be a torture, right?

I suspect that HWMonitor is not correctly reading the temp info as it states that it is supporting Coffee Lake with the 1.33 release. Although it kinda makes sense that it might be the issue as the system doesn't turn itself around 95-100C...

So yes.. I downloaded the AI Suite for the motherboard and the temps are actually 10-15C lower than what it shows on HWMonitor.. However they are still high... Any other thoughts?

oguz11

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017

That is strange. This CPU cooler should handle this looking at the TDP rating of it. I am pretty sure the stock cooler is not great but should let the CPU do TurboMode without going over 80C temps. So I think this CPU cooler should be OK?

Demonic Heart

Honorable
May 8, 2014
Off Topic:

What hurts me about your build is that you have to use a Asus Strix z370 on a budget processor, which is unfair. Intel business sucks ..

In my opinion next year is too long to wait to buy budget boards to start budget build. they will lose more than they want to gain and people will just buy old gen parts.

They should have allowed asrock, asus etc to sell their b and h boards on release of the budget processors.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan

Intel doesn't want to sell budget parts and with their current Coffee Lake production being perpetually sold-out everywhere at the moment, it has no motivation to make any effort to make it any more "affordable" than it currently is. People choosing to buy previous-gen parts due to low availability of Coffee Lake parts is perfectly fine for Intel as it needs to clear current production and inventory anyway.

The only thing that may have a significant impact on Intel's behavior is mass defection to AMD.

Demonic Heart

Honorable
May 8, 2014

The Cpus didnt sellout because there are good or THAT good. they sold out because they didnt make much. thats why they called it "paper launch"

regardless as if they want to sell out older gen goods. it would have gone either way for people who want to buy what they can afford.

also people might just skip the 8700 until 8790 comes out and it wouldnt make a difference anyways.. they suck

InvalidError

Titan

If that's what you want to believe, then that's all the more reason not to cater to budget buyers - doesn't make sense to offer budget options when there is no production available to meet that demand for the foreseeable future.

Unless Cannon Lake's schedule slips for a fourth time, there won't be 8x90s. The 9000 series on 10nm should be next. With TSMC, UMC, Samsung, GloFo, etc. on track with 7-12nm processes, Intel can't afford another schedule slip on 10nm.

Demonic Heart

Honorable
May 8, 2014

who cares about schedule tho? intel knows they cpu's will sell regardless. just for the people who want to say they have the LATEST and BEST .. it would make sense to hold off on the 9000 as they will have more cpus to sell.