FX-8370 is running below stock values on MSI 970 MOBO

Whitefox94

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Hello all! Been awhile since I've been here. Everything in the PC world has been going fine up until now.

Build:
CPU AMD FX 8370
Motherboard MSI 970 Gaming (V22.4 12/21/15 despite newest being 22.4 from 12/23/15 ?? )
PSU Cooler master V650
GPU Geforce 4gb 1050ti
RAM 16gb (8x2) DDR3 Radeon gamer series ram (NOT OC)
Hyper Evo 212
1 120 Front intake (stock), 1 80 (?) side intake and 1 80 (?) side exhaust, 1 120 back exhaust
Smilodon raidmax case
1 TB drive, 2 350gb

My Fx-8370 is currently running at 1.4ghz with a voltage of 0.888 (!!!). I've noticed this for about a week, however, it may have always been running like this. I just noticed it now because my fps in games have dropped from 140 to 20 shortly after buying a new monitor weeks ago. In the rare moments my clock has gone up to 4ghz, my fps has gone back to 130ish. I use HWmonitor regularly, but also have core temp and cpu-z. When prime-95 is running and the cpu cores are at 100%, both voltage and clock do not increase. My cpu temps never exceed 31C when gaming. Idle it is at 19C.

Performance pc mode is on and slow-mode switch on mobo is in the off position, AMD cool n quiet is off, high computing mode is on, cv6 is off. I do not have OC program installed or anything along those lines. Everything is currently set to auto in terms of clock and voltages.

I was able to change the change cpu voltage to 1.3 ONCE (I cannot directly set which irritates me, I need to specify +0.1) and set cpu ratio to 21.5 (=4300) and game with cpu temps of 45C for a few hours, however, when I went to turn pc on in the morning, I had the message "your overclock settings have failed".

In all other instances (both before and after above instance) , when I try to change the cpu ratio and/or voltage, my pc will not POST or I will get the "overclock settings have failed" message. I have varied from turbo off/auto, xmp on/off, amp on/off, anything, it will either say fail or no POST in which case I have to turn pc off, turn off psu, drain power from board, and turn everything back on again. CPU smart protection is always enabled, and I have heard mixed advice about changing it.

Why is this occurring? It's almost like it's being throttled due to temperatures, but my temps have not been an issue. TMPIN0 is no higher than 25, TMPIN1 is no higher than 45, TMPIN2 no higher than 31. 3.3V = 3.264, 5V = 4.956, 12V = 12.144.

Motherboard issue? Power issue? CPU issue? Me? I am so frustrated, and I really think it is the board after reading up that so many people have issues with it. I have read so many stories like mine on the same board or a different one, and it was always fixed due to changing power plan to performance or accidentally putting board on slow-mode. I have taken out cmos battery a few time. I have reapplied thermal paste and cooler about three times now. Dusted and vacuumed everything.

Now what do I try? I will post some photos shortly. Thanks in advance.

Edit: due to the new issues, this probably shouldn't be in the Overclocking forum.

Booted up this morning into bios and good values were shown, but it froze after 5 minutes
xKkUsWw.jpg

Yesterday values were okay.
8sxLARL.jpg

But... At the end of last night, Hwmonitor recorded a max temp of 200°c and a min temp of 0°C for core temp.

Will post upload screenshot when I log into pc.

Solution
It is possible HWMonitor is not reporting the correct voltages and frequency. Certainly the temperature it reports are not correct. For FX series CPUs, AMD Overdrive is the only software that reports reliable temperatures (Thermal Margin).

Try downloading and installing AMD Overdrive and see what voltage, multiplier and frequency it reports.

I am not familiar with your particular BIOS, but what other options do you have for the Turbo settings other than Auto? Is there a fixed setting?

Whitefox94

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Well, I replaced cmos battery and it was working fine on auto for the night unless I went to reboot in morning and same issues arose.

I turned off cpu smart protection and set voltage to +0.0 this time and it was working fine but I had to restart because I had realized one of my fans had gotten disconnected. When I restarted, no post, power drained, restarted logged into windows and BAM --- HWmonitor lists clock at 1400mhz and vcore at 0.888v. Ran prime95, clock speed doesnt go up despite 100% utilization.

I say okay, I guess the bios settings got reset. Restart, go into bios, bios settings are still the same and cpu voltage reads 1.3 and 4ghz speed (which never appeared differently in bios). Okay, boot windows, and program still reads 0.888v and 1400mhz.

Seriously, am I stupid and missing something? I honestly don't understand why this is occurring.

Once again, cool and quiet is off, c1e is off, c6 off, hpc mode on, performance mode is high with 100% min and max and active cooling, temperatures are low (14c package, 42c cpu, 32c motherboard, gpu 31c).

It is possible HWMonitor is not reporting the correct voltages and frequency. Certainly the temperature it reports are not correct. For FX series CPUs, AMD Overdrive is the only software that reports reliable temperatures (Thermal Margin).

Try downloading and installing AMD Overdrive and see what voltage, multiplier and frequency it reports.

I am not familiar with your particular BIOS, but what other options do you have for the Turbo settings other than Auto? Is there a fixed setting?

Solution