How to get 1000 Mbps LAN with old router

mkinsocal

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
Hi. I have a very basic understanding of home networking, so my apologies if I use the wrong terms. I'm trying to get the best possible speeds for transferring files (some very large) between computers on my home network. I just set up a linux server which will serve as a means to backup all of our devices, and will also serve as a Plex media server, sending movies, etc to devices.

All computers are connected by ethernet, not wifi, and all have 10/100/1000 cards, but my router (ATT Uverse Gateway) only supports 10/100 (not 1,000). So when I went to backup my photos (290 GB) it took nearly 10 hours (averaging 10 MB/s) so I'm assuming the gateway is limiting the traffic to 100 Mbps. I would love to take advantage of 1,000 Mbps, but Uverse does not allow our own modem. I'm stuck with their gateway / router.

My question is, if I connect a switch capable of 1,000 Mbps to the Uverse router, and connect all devices into the switch ports and not to the Uverse router, will this then allow faster LAN file transfers, or will the data still go through the Uverse router and slow down?

I'm fine with our internet speeds, so I'm only worried about optimizing file transfers within our home network wired devices.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Solution
One large switch will have no limitation on bandwidth between any two ports. Having a tree (cascade) of multiple switches could have bandwidth limitations if two devices on one leaf switch attempt to transfer to two other leaf devices on a different switch. You would have 2Gb limited to 1Gb on the trunk lines.

mkinsocal

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017

Perfect. Thanks, I'll try that tonight. As a followup question, I have a bunch of 4 port switches (all 1000 LAN capable); Is it preferable to get a single large switch, or is it OK to pigtail these together? It's not common that all devices are online / sending large amount of data at the same time, but I'm sure the occasion could arise. Just want to try to minimize any backlogs.

kanewolf

Titan
One large switch will have no limitation on bandwidth between any two ports. Having a tree (cascade) of multiple switches could have bandwidth limitations if two devices on one leaf switch attempt to transfer to two other leaf devices on a different switch. You would have 2Gb limited to 1Gb on the trunk lines.

Solution