Fx 6300 socket temp

sotfoun10

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Hi guys! I have the above cpu and I'm using the hwmonitor to monitor my temps.... As far as I know, Cpu temp on hwmonitor is the socket temp and the package temp is the core temp. I have read that package temp on Amd Cpu's is very inaccurate but I want to know about the socket temp. Is the temp the hwmonitor reporting accurate? In my case it mostly stays between 30-45 C while idle or browsing (stable though) and while gaming it usually go up to 55-65 C. Is these temps normal and more importantly is hwmonitor accurate about these temps?

exroofer

Distinguished
FX series are happiest in the mid 50s c under your normal loads.
If you see 65 fairly often, speed the fan curve up a bit.
I ran my 8350 at 4.4 24/7 OC, stayed in the low 50's.
Package temp is the one to check for these.
Can't remember what the socket temp was on mine.
HW Monitor was pretty reliable for me on my FX series chip.

Though I would say you don't have much to worry about there

sotfoun10

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Also could you please tell me if balanced or high performance power plan is better for gaming ? I saw today that mine was high performance and after I set it in balanced the cpu temps and cpu rpm decreased by a lot.But I don't know if I am going to have any in game problems( lagging fps drop ). What should I do ?

exroofer

Distinguished
I'm guessing by high performance and balanced you mean bios settings?
These are usually auto overclocking settings.
Which almost always use too much voltage, resulting in somewhat higher heat.
To test.

1) set to balanced, save and exit.
2) Run firestrike or other benchmark of choice.
3) set to high performance.
4) run same benchmark(s)

If the difference is not very big, set to balanced, and be happy.

And the 70.5 is cpu temp. which you don't want to be at all the time.
Mid 50's under normal load makes for good cpu life.

There is quite a bit of performance to be had on FX series cpu's from overclocking, and increasing northbridge speed.
This requires a fair bit of bios tweaking.
If that is what you want to do, post an overclocking help question in the AMD overclocking forums here on Tom's.
You will be able to get much more specific answers.
By your questions i am going to assume you aren't highly experienced in overclocking and bios tweaking.
It isn't that hard, but changing things without knowing what they do is a bad idea.

Temps posted look fine to me. If those were under performance pre set, I don't think you have much to worry about.

sotfoun10

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
No no you misunderstood. I didn't mean in Bios but the settings in the control panel but don't worry I have figured that out. Also, I have never overclocked in my life and I have never tweak any bios settings. But I still didn't understand about the max temp. In HWMonitor I see two temps: the Cpu temp which I know it's the socket temp and the package temp which I know it is the core temp. Which of the two has max temp 70.5 C? Core or socket? I know that core usually has 10 C less than socket temp under load and most people say that the max socket temps are 80 C and max core temps are 70 C.