R9 280 vs (passive) GTX 1050 Ti

skaeppler

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
Hi everyone,

thinking about upgrading GPU and silencing my PC.
Right now I have a R9 280, which get's pretty loud at times.
So I saw this passive Palit GTX 1050 Ti KalmX, which could be a suitable replacement.

Goal is to play games like Deus Ex Human Revolution, Mass Effect Andromeda, Witcher 3 at reasonable frame rates and graphics quality on a 1920x1200-display.

Has anyone here experiences with the card or can judge if I should go for it?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Sebastian

Solution

Yes, but no. If you are willing to pay for the more expensive cards like Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming or Asus Strix or such, you would get a card with such a good cooling solution that you would never hear it. I personally have the Gigabyte GTX 1070 Xtreme gaming, the fans doesn't spin before the card hits 50 C, and even then i...

skaeppler

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017

No, my monitor supports a resolution of 1920x1200, at which I am playing at. It should be 16:10.
It's a Samsung SyncMaster 2443 FW if you want to check it out (it is quite old though).

GTX 1050 TI shoudl give you reasonable frame rates but i won't expect it to stay above 60FPS all the time, unless you lower the settings.

skaeppler

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017

But as far as I can see there is no passive cooling GTX card available above the 1050 Ti, right? So I only have the choice of sacrificing noice reduction to get greater performance, correct?

Yes, but no. If you are willing to pay for the more expensive cards like Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming or Asus Strix or such, you would get a card with such a good cooling solution that you would never hear it. I personally have the Gigabyte GTX 1070 Xtreme gaming, the fans doesn't spin before the card hits 50 C, and even then i cannot hear them. Even under long torture test fans never go above 45-50% speed, so they are basically silent.

Solution