i7 920 Looking for upgrade path

iribbit

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
Hello Tom's community! I found this template and filled it out, any help MUCH appreciated!

Approximate Purchase Date: I'm not limited by time, sooner rather than later. I don't need to be cutting edge. I don't need current GEN stuff.

Budget Range: Less than $500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, specifically Black Desert Online (BDO)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: I want to upgrade the MOBO and Processor only

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg and/or Amazon

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking: Yes - but only if it helps the game, and is stable

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080p

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading:

Current spec on my machine is ~10 years old. BDO is a fairly new MMO, and a rather beautiful game IMO for an MMO, but I don't play it for the graphics.
My PC can run it fine, on low to medium graphics settings. When I get into mass PVP, I have to run the game on its lowest possible settings for "okay" FPS. Normal stuff is about 50fps, but in pvp I drop to 25-30 FPS and it just doesn't cut it.
Running Lasso to show CPU usage, I notice that BDO is utilizing all 4 cores, and 4 virtual cores.
I think one of the biggest choke points right now is individual core speed, but I don't know enough about this all to say for sure. I notice during PVP that there is always one or two cores nearly maxed out, while one or two other cores are 50% or more.

I'd like a faster/better CPU.

I don't think my GPU is an issue at all, during PVP, with MSI Afterburner open, I see nothing that indicates the GPU is working hard, hell it may not even be hitting 50% usage.

Here is what I know about my PC:

Win7
Asus P6T motherboard X58
ATX Form Factor
UNICORN Sigma Metal Storm MID Tower
Intel i7 920 @ 2.76 (overclock on air to 3.2, stable)
G.Skill Ripjaw X DDR3 1600 24GB (PC3 12800) (6 x 4GB)
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GPU
1tb hard drive
500Gb SSD (where my OS is)
750 Watt PSU
Samsung S24D300 1080p monitor (main)
LG 1440x900 monitor (secondary)

I'd really just like a better MOBO and Processor at this point. I'd like to keep as much as possible to save a few bucks.

Solution
I see no reason to stick with ddr3, or even Intel

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 612 Ver.2 44.2 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot - Viper Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($31.90 @ Newegg)
Total: $467.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker...
If you want to get a better CPU and keep your RAM, you are going to have to stick with the last gen CPUs, i5-6xxx or i7-6xxx If your RAM is low voltage, you are OK, if not, you will have to do some searching to find a motherboard that supports standard DDR3, or go one generation older to the 1150 sockets and 5th gen i5/i7 CPUs. If you see the game is using both 4 cores and the 4 HT cores, you may want to stick with an i7. Or just sell your CPU/Mobo/RAM as a package and use that money to do a full swap to new CPU and DDR4 RAM.

Your CPU even though older is still pretty good, especially since you overclocked it that much, did you check with game support if a faster CPU will help you? It may be a game engine or server side issue.

iribbit

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017

I've asked around in game, several people who seem to know more about PCs than I do have all come to the same information more or less. 4 core is still viable. It wouldn't make any difference if I had 6 or 8. Its the cores speed and ability to process more information that would be beneficial. The game is pretty CPU heavy apparently, unlike other games where the GPU tends to do the majority of the work.

I think what I might do is land one of the higher end fist gen i7's in the same X58 platform, like the 970, or even the 990x if I can find one, and hold on to it for a good 6-12 more months in total. Then just sell the whole rig, and upgrade entirely. I'm looking to bridge that gap in time.

Thank you for your response

I see no reason to stick with ddr3, or even Intel

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 612 Ver.2 44.2 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot - Viper Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($31.90 @ Newegg)
Total: $467.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-26 17:14 EDT-0400

this upgrades the cpu and RAM to an 8-core/16 thread CPU and DDR4, gives a decent cooler for overclock (most 1700s can get to 3.8 or 3.9 GHz) and replaces the PSU of uncertain age.
its $505 before rebate, and you could drp the cooler to bring it to $480

Solution