Will a 1375 watt psu trip a standard US home breaker?

Solution
no. A PSU wattage rating is capacity only. It is only going to draw what it needs + waste heat (varies depending on the PSU efficiency rating, (gold, etc) and relative draw.)

BTW, you don't want to buy a PSU which is way overkill for your system since it will not run very efficiently if it is running below 20%. Target is 50% or so for max efficiency on most PSUs. There are numerous calculators online which will help you determine a right-sized PSU.

The plug it plugs in to is called a nema 5-15p (in the USA and those countries which share the USA standard). This is rated at 15amps in total. A 1375watt PSU is 14.945652174 amps, or almost exactly 15amps. Nothing else should be plugged in to that socket if you push usage close to 1300watt. You'd be better off with a higher rated PSU if you really want to push 6 graphics cards, as well as the rest of that PC.

Most home circuits are rated at 20amps. But that 20a is rarely available to a single outlet. You can wire it so that it is. In my previous place I had new heavier wire run, a heavier circuit breaker installed had a 4 outlet 30a circuit for my two large computers.

I would recommend you be cautious if you really want to get close to 15a on a single outlet. I would suggest you have an electrician put in a separate beefier circuit for this use if you are going that way.

indsup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
It shouldn't as long as it is the only thing on that circuit. If you have other things on that circuit it very well could. You should only pull 80% of the circuit for any extended amount of time. You can pull more than that for short periods of time but you will be mining. That would be a constant power draw essentially. You will have to consult your manual or tag on the side of the unit to know what kind of power it will draw at the max. The only real true way you will know what it will be pulling is factor what the system will be drawing while mining and make the calculations from that.

You need to know:

1) The amperage of the circuit breaker, and

2) what OUTLETS that circuit breaker has on it.

If you for example had the PC on the same circuit breaker as a 1000W microwave you might need a 30A to 40A breaker (depending on what else is on it).

more info: https://www.milestoneelectricdfw.com/resources/faq-tripping-breaker

"What can I plug into a 20 AMP circuit? A 20 AMP circuit at 120 volt (at 80%) will hold 1920 watts for long periods. It would be possible to operate a 1200 watt coffee pot and even a 600 watt can opener, but not a 1200 watt coffee pot and a 1500 watt microwave oven. In order to operate in a safe and efficient manner, you will need to run larger wattage appliances on separate circuits."

Trevor Johnson

Honorable
Nov 8, 2014

So it would be plugged into a 15 amp circuit, it already has two ceiling fans, a few lamps, and a tv hooked up to this. With the PC being 1080 under full load would this be able to put on that circuit or not?

Maybe. Depends on the TV and if there will be monitors and other things as well. I would guess that it would work. But that is a guess. Worth only what you paid for it.

Trevor Johnson

Honorable
Nov 8, 2014

Is there anyway of testing this beforehand or do I have to calculate everything on the circuit?

That depends... how much do you like surprises?
If you want to "take your chances" get a high wattage heater of about the same draw (including monitors, etc). Put it on HIGH and turn everything else on.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS