970 Strix weird clicking noise

JeppeSchultz

Honorable
Jul 7, 2014
Hi

I bought a used gtx 970 Strix card, and after having been under load for a few minutes, it makes the sound as shown in the video (sounds kinda like there's a mouse gnawing inside of it). It's still covered by warranty, but I just want to know if there's anything i can do about it, or if this would be considered coil whine (which i guess isn't RMA-worthy?)
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WasXN1gFCsg
It sounds kinda like it's coming from the end of the card (so it might be related to the fan furthest from the I/O), but i can't see what should be causing it, if it's the fan.

Any help is appreciated!

Solution
Sounds like dirt/debris or even a small card brushing up against the fan blades or hindering the rotation of the fans. That can't be considered coil whine since they are a faint hum. Since you're in SLI, what is the make and model of your PSU and how old is it?

Lutfij

Titan
Sounds like dirt/debris or even a small card brushing up against the fan blades or hindering the rotation of the fans. That can't be considered coil whine since they are a faint hum. Since you're in SLI, what is the make and model of your PSU and how old is it?

Solution

JeppeSchultz

Honorable
Jul 7, 2014
I finally found the culprit - when i installed the second 970 i loosened a piece of plastic protection on the motherboard that i had missed when i built the machine. It would get sucked into the fan on the upper 970 when it was spinning fast, hence the sound. Anyways, thanks for the help.