i5 8400 or ryzen 1600

Kieran_18

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
i don't know what to go with , i want the best performance per dollar (pound since i'm British) but at the same time like the option of Intel a bit more , for both i want 16gb of ram and a 1070 could someone say which would be better for strictly gaming performance per dollar wise ? if you could it would be very helpful :)

Solution
Consider looking at a I3-8350K for a lesser price.
It seems that many want lots of cores/threads, hence the popularity of ryzen and the shortage of the 6 thread i5-8400. Many threads is good for production apps, but not necessarily for gaming.

Check your games. Most can use only use 2-3 threads effectively, and the higher potential clock of the 8350K
is great for games. Virtually all will oc at 4.8 and higher.
I5-8400 has a max turbo of 4.0, and that is also about the max oc on ryzen 1600.

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
Hardware Unboxed made this video explaining the differences in nearly all resolutions of gaming as well as price per frame (performance per dollar), and general performance in all games. You can expect this would change with the introduction of cheaper motherboards for Intel next year as well. He does a good job explaining the differences between them as well as differentiating between DX11 and DX12 titles. It's honestly good video.

EDIT: This is gaming only benchmarks, so if you're doing other multi-threaded workloads you'll want to do your research on each program to see if it benefits from more threads or not.

Consider looking at a I3-8350K for a lesser price.
It seems that many want lots of cores/threads, hence the popularity of ryzen and the shortage of the 6 thread i5-8400. Many threads is good for production apps, but not necessarily for gaming.

Check your games. Most can use only use 2-3 threads effectively, and the higher potential clock of the 8350K
is great for games. Virtually all will oc at 4.8 and higher.
I5-8400 has a max turbo of 4.0, and that is also about the max oc on ryzen 1600.

Solution