I5-4460
1060 6GB SC
Gigabye H81M Motherboard
2x8GB Corsair vengeance DDR3
1 Crucial 750gb SSD
1 Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7.2K RPM
EVGA 550W PSU
Windows 10 home 64 bit.
Asus 1080p 144hz 1ms Monitor and another HP 23 inch as my second monitor.

I am playing the new assassin's creed and can barely get 50 FPS on medium, it seems like I should be able to run these games no problem. I've tried power settings, fresh driver installs, using GeForce recommended settings (which didn't do much). I haven't overclocked as I don't think it's really necessary although prove me wrong I just don't want to ruin my card since i'm not experienced enough.

All of these "FPS" boost videos on youtube are about disabling background programs, changing power settings etc which is what i've already tried. Vsync on/off doesn't make a difference either.

Also, i've notice my GPU load on some games barely goes above 60%, and in other games in crowded areas it will definitely hit 99% which I know is fine. I just see a lot of stuttering and random drops when I run benchmarks.

Is this normal? Please help!!

Solution

First of all, please don't be condescending, I appreciate you trying to help but if you're just going to assume i'm a morong then there's no need to reply. 1. I've run benchmarks while watching videos and without anything else running, there is no significant difference to my CPU usage as i'm not using chrome. 2. The whole reason I am testing while I have videos on my second monitor is for the specific reason that I enjoy that while i'm gaming. While it may seem like an "obvious" thing to avoid, I can normally do both...
Make sure you are running nothing in the background. Especially things like Chrome.
Check what is in your startup with autoruns by sysinternals (free DL from microsoft)
Are you loading off your SSD or your HD? If it is your HD, do a chkdsk /f/r on it.
Drop your refresh rate down. Try 60hz and 100hz (and somewhere in between if you have that option on that monitor).
VSync on/off should make a big difference. On most PCs it is 10% or so.
Are you running some fancy live-tile thing?
Absolutely NO JAVA in the background no matter what it does.
External benchmarks are overlays/code-injections. They have their own overhead.

k1macx

Reputable
Dec 18, 2016
My CPU is normally at 100% for most games, because I'll have videos playing on my 2nd monitor. I just tried benchmark with The Division on Very High settings and got 73 ffps average which i'm fine with and GPU load was at 98% average. You might be right it may very well be the game. It boggles my mind that they still make games that rely THAT much on CPU. I ran the GTA V benchmark (heard that game relies on CPU) and was getting around 80% average at 70% GPU load. At that point can i be confident it's really the game?

k1macx

Reputable
Dec 18, 2016

Chrome isn't running cause I know it's CPU heavy, I am loading off of my SSD. I tried 60hz instead of native and it didn't do anything. Should Vsync be ON? or Off? I've heard if i have a 144hz display Vsync would cause tearing.
Definitely not running any fancy live-tile or Java programs

I would leave it off. I game at 60hz, and never turn it on. When I need to, I use afterburner instead.

k1macx

Reputable
Dec 18, 2016

First of all, please don't be condescending, I appreciate you trying to help but if you're just going to assume i'm a morong then there's no need to reply. 1. I've run benchmarks while watching videos and without anything else running, there is no significant difference to my CPU usage as i'm not using chrome. 2. The whole reason I am testing while I have videos on my second monitor is for the specific reason that I enjoy that while i'm gaming. While it may seem like an "obvious" thing to avoid, I can normally do both without issue, so I am wondering if there is something I need to fix/configure to let my GPU handle more of the load. Example: If tessellation is CPU heavy, then i'll turn that off in favor of higher textures. I figured i'd leave Vsync off, but again, very little difference in performance, maybe 1 more FPS on average.

I guess i'm just surprised I can't run this game at a solid 60.

Solution