Help: FX 9590 Best Thermal Paste Solution

TStahler

Distinguished
I am trying to decide between getting Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste vs Conductonaut liquid metal to get my FX 9590 to OC to either 5.0 or at most 5.2GHz stable on all cores. My understanding is that the Conductonaut would probably only benefit those that delid their CPU's which applies only to the Intel side rather than the AMD sidr of the fence. My relevant system specs are as follows.

FX 9590 CPU
Asus Sabertooth R2 990FX MOBO
R9 295X2 GPU
32GB RAM
1TB SSD and additional SSD and HDD's
Arctic 360mm Liquid Cooler for CPU
Graphics card has its own seperate built in water cooler in itself.
EVGA Platinum 1600W Power Supply.
Would the liquid metal yield any real benefit for this CPU since one can't really delid it anyway? Which would be the netter overall option? Thank you for your help.

Solution
I would go with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. But you are putting too much thought into this as the 9590 is a mediocre CPU at best. It's like putting racing tires on a Kia.

TStahler

Distinguished
My FX 9590 might not be a Ryzen 7, Threadripper, or i7; But this processor still performs just fine for my needs. If I had the money to go out and buy a new CPU, new MOBO, and new DDR4 RAM, I would. But in the meantime, I am trying to make the most of what I already have. The price of the CPU was fairly inexpensive at only roughly $160 at the time so I can't complain. I do appreciate your input in reference to my thermal paste question though. Thank you.

Dude, you totally missed the point. That CPU is giving you everything it has and there is no point in trying to squeeze another drop.

You have a pretty decent setup too. I dont know what you are using your rig for, but obviously you game as you have a 295x2. Right now it "meets your needs" because that is what you know. Everyone "needs" twice the fps (first world problems lol)

For gaming, you dont need a Ryzen 7. A Ryzen 1600 would be just fine. If it were me, I would not put another dime (not even a $20 tube of Kryonaut) into that system. I would sell those components on the used market while they are still worth something. 32gb of DDR3 RAM is still worth some money, at least enough to get 16gb of DDR4 (which is all you need for gaming). Then flip your CPU/mobo for $100, that will pay for a B350 new motherboard. So now you have your RAM and motherboard and have not spent a dime. All you need is $200 for a 1600 and you have a nice rig again. If you cant come up with $200 sell that 360mm cooler, you wont need it with the 1600 anyway.

I understand not having the money for a whole new platform upgrade, I am just trying to make the most out of what you already have :)

nctritech

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
"But you are putting too much thought into this as the 9590 is a mediocre CPU at best." - What drugs are you on that you think an FX-9590 is "a mediocre CPU at best?" It's objectively faster than a Core i7-4770K CPU. Would you call that "a mediocre CPU at best" for some insane reason? It's also on par with a Ryzen 5 1500X, clearly "a mediocre CPU at best" in your world. Stick to commentary on topics you actually understand, please.

Reactions: J8Y