RX 480 Downclocking in WoW

dcolby10

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
Hey everyone,

I recently noticed that my RX 480 GTR Black Edition is downclocking itself sometimes in WoW. I have the FPS capped at 142 fps for my 144hz freesync monitor and my temps stay around the mid 70's Celcius under extended periods of gaming. I have wattman set to +50% powerlimit and am not overclocking or undervolting at this time. Rendering quality is also set to performance.

It looks like my fps doesn't drop when the clock speed drops, but I have noticed some stuttering sometimes that may be linked to the downclocking. I ran Firestrike a few times last night and the card held its max clock with no issue.

I guess my question is; is this normal behavior? Is the card downclocking because it doesn't need to use it's max clock? I am on the latest version of Crimson (17.11.1) and it seems to happen on previous drivers as well; all the way back to 17.4.4. Should I just lock it to max clock in a profile?

On a side note, will overclocking the gpu gain anything in WoW? Fiddling around last night in Firestrike saw a stable overclock of 1375MHz with a 1025mV undervolt. Is it worth running these values in WoW?

dcolby10

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
I have a custom fan curve setting in Wattman with 70C as my target temperature. GPU does not go higher than 70C. I also just replaced the thermal paste on the heatsink last weekend. There is also no downclocking in Firestrike, so I doubt this is a thermal or power issue.