getting 10/100 speeds instead of 1000 gigabit speeds

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Ok. So I just upgraded my system from an AsRock Z75 Pro3 with i5-3570k to an ASUS Z87-A with an i5-4670k.

When going through all of the usual setup procedures I do a speedtest on my internet as I was looking forward to seeing the upgrade from the 10/100 switch that was on the AsRock to the gigabit switch that supposed to be on the ASUS as I have a 150/150 connection.

However, upon doing a speedtest I find out that I am still capping out at 95 megabits per second.
I have gone through windows adapter settings and switched the setting for speed/duplex from auto to 1G full duplex.
I then proceeded to double check that the same setting was applied in my router settings. I have adjusted firewall and ip address/dns settings to what they should be.

In the BIOS I only seem to have the option of turning on/off the lan controller with no speed settings so I assume that there aren't any.

What should I be looking into to get the 150/150 speeds I pay for?

I have installed the latest drivers for the motherboard from ASUS.
I am not sure if the BIOS needs an update or not. It probably does. Maybe that's what's causing this?

I have tested different ports and different cables and it's none of those.

Any help in fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Or it's the network cable, have you tried another?

For gigabit to work on cat5/5e/6/7 cable etc all 8 wires are used, if even one strand is off or the cable only has 4 wires, will set back to 100.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
95Mbps vs 150Mbps?

11MiB/s you get now is it vs 17.9MiB/s you should be getting?

Is there a way you can test your router between two computers because on lan you should be getting over 100MB/s transferring a single file of huge capacity. If you can test your lan and the transfer speeds are proper then it's your isp and not your hardware.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

I should clarify. I'm not looking to get 1000 megabits per second. I'm trying to get my network adapter to run in that mode so that I can get speeds faster than 100 megabit which is what I pay for.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

I know it's not my ISP since I have another desktop right next to me and a laptop and both get higher speeds.
I just performed a file transfer for a 1.6gb file from my other pc to this one using homegroup and it transfers at about 11megabytes per second. Something is up with the network adapter or drivers or a setting somewhere.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

as I stated in my original post I tested different ports and used different cables with no change. The cable I am currently using was cut from the same line that is used to run a connection from the ONT to the router for my internet service. I had the installation guy cut it and clamp it for me. But like I said for good measure I also tried using the cable I have plugged into my second PC which gets the speeds I pay for and no go.

and to double check, should I try to update the bios perhaps?
according to the specs on ASUS website the LAN controller on this board is gigabit capable.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Ok. So I am using an 8 port switch from my router into my den where I have all of my game consoles and PCs. I disconnected the cat6 cable I was using to connect the switch to my router and plugged it into my PC and all of sudden I am getting the speeds I am supposed to. I'll have another look at my cables again.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

Ok. So it ended up being the cable I was using. It wasn't getting gigabit speeds like it's supposed to. I have switched out with a shorter but still just long enough cable that was plugged into the xbox one and I am getting better speeds again with this cable. I don't know what was going on when I tried using these cables before but now it's working. I'm just gonna let the xbox have the 100 megabit connection cuz it doesn't really need more than that. Thanks for your help.