RX 470 Low performance

sam4787

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
Hello

I bought 2 RX 470 for mining , they give me very low performance (2 sol /s ) each one , other people give them 250 sol /s , the seller recommended me in the beginning to buy power 1000 watt but I bought power supply 550 watt (I am using it with 2 RX 470 and the rest of the computer ,I tried to use it with one VGA and I have the same problem ), I connected the two VGA on motherboard directly and they take their power from motherboard , can someone know the reason from power supply or from another thing ?

Thanks

Solution
That's not a very good quality PSU. Also low mining performance is not necessarily result of hardware related issues.

It could be due to drivers, mining software-utility bugs and glitches, the OS and so forth.

NO personal experience but I have heard some people have problems in mining in Windows 10 because apparently it addresses GPUs and VRAM differently. Maybe you need to look into that if you're using Win 10.

I know you said windows 8.1 but I meant it could be a software issue which needs some tweaking.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
What brand/model is your PSU? IF it is a good one that can really provide 520W it's OK.

Those cards have 120W TDP and two of them would draw 240-250W and that's half the power that PSU puts out.

Although you should check how much power(wattage) it can provide on the 12 volt rail. That is the power source for graphic cards.

We can make sure if we know the PSU brand and model.

sam4787

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
The Model of PSU is (FSP 550WAT HEXA+550 POWER SUPPLY ) , I am using it with motherboard (MSI Z170A PRO SOLUTION LGA 1151 DDR4 USB3.1 SLI )
Processor : G1840C HASWELL SELERON.

Ram : DDR4 8GB CRUCIAL

Windows 8.1 (64)

images

Thanks

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That's not a very good quality PSU. Also low mining performance is not necessarily result of hardware related issues.

It could be due to drivers, mining software-utility bugs and glitches, the OS and so forth.

NO personal experience but I have heard some people have problems in mining in Windows 10 because apparently it addresses GPUs and VRAM differently. Maybe you need to look into that if you're using Win 10.

I know you said windows 8.1 but I meant it could be a software issue which needs some tweaking.

Solution

sam4787

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017

Thanks for the information , I bought a new PSU today and I changed HDD with another one faster , I will install window 8 on it tomorrow and make sure from driver software and tell you what happened , I am using supernova software for mining now .

TRENDING THREADS