RX 480 for Productivity Task/ Software?

NonTechSavvySheep

Honorable
Apr 15, 2016
Is AMD Radeon RX 480 4 GB useable for productivity like video encoding, editing? How about something like solidworks, AutoCAD, 3D Maya? I think that I become less often playing games and wonder if my GPU has outlived its usefulness, I don't think selling it is a good idea for me. But I might give it to someone else.

Solution
You'd have to look at the software. See which ones support GPU acceleration. If it uses OpenCL it should support your card. You listed several tasks; encoding, editing, solidworks, CAD, etc, so you'll need to look up all the different programs and see what works. Version matters! Make sure you are looking at the correct version.

4745454b

Titan
I'm having issues understanding what you mean. Assuming you are talking about GPU accelerated work, that really depends on your software. The RX480 can be used, but it really depends on what you are using. If you are playing less games, the RX480 is still useful. Assuming your software knows how to talk to it.

NonTechSavvySheep

Honorable
Apr 15, 2016

I mean which software that can takes advantage of RX 480 as my GPU sits idle most of the time.

4745454b

Titan
You'd have to look at the software. See which ones support GPU acceleration. If it uses OpenCL it should support your card. You listed several tasks; encoding, editing, solidworks, CAD, etc, so you'll need to look up all the different programs and see what works. Version matters! Make sure you are looking at the correct version.

Solution