i7-4790 Hot temps on low loads on H81M motherboard.

mahmoudomar123

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015
I have an i7-4790 and I noticed something really weird while playing, the temperature hovers around 70C-95C while on 20-45% load, I have a stock cooler and I just applied new thermal paste 2 days ago and the cooler is mounted correctly.
My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2PT, BIOS Version F5. and Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit.

Solution
I think voltages are OK. All cores have maximum usage around 80% at some time but only core 0 has apparently reached that temperature.

Maybe the heat sink is not sitting properly firm and flat on the IHS or maybe a problem with TIM (thermal paste) little or too much paste can disrupt conductivity and lead to over-heating.

Also maybe air bubble trapped in the paste on that one core.

Reapplying and re-seating the heat sink and cooler might help.

Many 4790Ks have had heat issue, then tend to run hot and a stock cooler maybe not up to the job.

mahmoudomar123

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015
I've used the stock cooler for around a year and a half and it was working perfectly.
I've only had this issue with this motherboard, I had a Z97 but it died and temperatures were good, Also, when I got this motherboard I didn't install a clean copy of windows.
I had another H81M and it had the same issue. could it be the windows or something in the bios settings?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I think voltages are OK. All cores have maximum usage around 80% at some time but only core 0 has apparently reached that temperature.

Maybe the heat sink is not sitting properly firm and flat on the IHS or maybe a problem with TIM (thermal paste) little or too much paste can disrupt conductivity and lead to over-heating.

Also maybe air bubble trapped in the paste on that one core.

Reapplying and re-seating the heat sink and cooler might help.

Many 4790Ks have had heat issue, then tend to run hot and a stock cooler maybe not up to the job.

Solution