$160-200 i7-980x or newer cpu/mobo/ram

I have an older PC I want to mess around with. It's a 1366 platform. I saw that used 980x processors are anywhere from $160-220. The question is: for the same price can you get a better performing newer cpu, ram, and mobo?

The system is currently built on an Asus P6T deluxe (v1 not the V2) with an i7 920 and 3x4GB triple channel (it was a thing on the 1366 platform) H80i cpu cooler.

What's the best PC you can build on this platform for $250 max? My goal is compute power, I want to use it for F@H(space heating). Let me worry about cooling and noise. Just looking for thoughts on maximum compute performance given the limited budget. I've got other plans for the GPU.

Solution
Yeah, and the 1300x is only a 4 thread CPU. Your old 980X is 12 threads. So, it kinda leans in favor of the 980X for multi-threaded tasks that demand lots of computing power. Unless you just want a new platform for future upgrading, the 980X added to your existing platform is probably the better way to go. And with the 980X's unlocked multiplier, you can gain even more by OC'ing it.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Considering your demands, I'd stay with the older platform and the i7-980X. I have a P6 (non-deluxe) myself with a Xeon 6C/12T 3670. It is still a powerful multi-tasker. The 980X is much better than that even. $250 may get you a newer platform for future upgrading, but I doubt it will be any faster.
But check out the Ryzen 6C/12T CPUs and their boards along with some DDR4 memory. See if it will get you close to your $250 max. That would be a better combo, but probably at a higher price than you'd want to pay.

Thanks for the reply.

I quickly put together a ryzen core on PCPP but to get a comparable CPU to the 980x, I'd be looking at a ryzen 1300x, add a mobo with multi GPU support and ram and I'm quickly over $250. Considering I can get 980x as low as 160 and a "tested working" one for 220 that is probably the way to go. Since this is all for fun, and science.

PCPP reference. Only spent about 5 minutes on it, probably some space for improvement.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KZhb9W

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, and the 1300x is only a 4 thread CPU. Your old 980X is 12 threads. So, it kinda leans in favor of the 980X for multi-threaded tasks that demand lots of computing power. Unless you just want a new platform for future upgrading, the 980X added to your existing platform is probably the better way to go. And with the 980X's unlocked multiplier, you can gain even more by OC'ing it.

Solution