Is my i5-6400 and 1050 will not bottleneck?

aidaskulka

Reputable
Oct 20, 2017
Hello friends,

My rig:

GPU:Msi gtx 1050 2gb oc
CPU:I5-6400 2.7ghz
Motherboard: MSI H110 PRO-VD PLUS
RAM:8gb ram
PSU: 420w

I have a question and i'am wondering. Now i have i5-6400 and 1050, does it bottleneck? Because i checked it on http://thebottlenecker.com/ this site, and it says that, my gpu is little bit weak for my processor. But when i read on sites, it says it does not bottleneck and its okey. So i have no ideas now, is it bottleneck or not ? But if i want to upgrade my GPU, this graphic card will perform very well with my cpu GTX 1060 6GB? And what PSU i should buy, because i have 420w chinese psu, maybe 550w will be perfect deal from corsair ?

Solution
the trend of bottlenecks is a huge misconception.
Your system is fine. If the current 3D performance (like gaming) is not enough and you can afford better GPU - good, go for it. Which GPU will be the most balanced with your CPU depends on monitor resolution and applications. for example with 4K monitor even GTX 1080Ti will be fine with this CPU.
Regarding power supply concerns - total system power consumption (from the wall) while gaming with i5-6400 + GTX 1060 6GB is about 200watt. So decent 420w PSU is more than enough. Corsair make great PSUs like AX or RM series and very crappy ones like VS series. and there are many models in between.
the trend of bottlenecks is a huge misconception.
Your system is fine. If the current 3D performance (like gaming) is not enough and you can afford better GPU - good, go for it. Which GPU will be the most balanced with your CPU depends on monitor resolution and applications. for example with 4K monitor even GTX 1080Ti will be fine with this CPU.
Regarding power supply concerns - total system power consumption (from the wall) while gaming with i5-6400 + GTX 1060 6GB is about 200watt. So decent 420w PSU is more than enough. Corsair make great PSUs like AX or RM series and very crappy ones like VS series. and there are many models in between.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
Will X bottleneck Y? Always, regardless of X and Y. The only differences are which one is the dominant bottleneck and the frame rate at which it happens. The real name of the bottleneck game should be whether that frame rate is above what you consider acceptable for the detail level and resolution you want.

aidaskulka

Reputable
Oct 20, 2017

Thanks for your answer !

If i choose MSI GTX 1060 6GB it was be the perfect match with my cpu?
My resolution is 1920x1080 and 75Hz. (Aoc gaming g2260vwq6)
BTW, when i'am playing gta v story mode, my cpu is almost hitting always 100%, i'am playing it on high-very high including texture quality is normal because of 2 gb vram.
And when i was playing Fortnite on medium settings my cpu is about 60-70~%, i have no idea why, i dont think this is normal, maybe because of graphic card?
I'am using MSI Afterburner app to see all temperature and usage, but the CPU is not overheating or someting else. Its about ~47°C

I5 6400 can handle GTX1060 very well on vast majority of new AAA games.
GTA V is one of those games, which can benefit of better proc e.g. I7. I5 6400 is really a bottleneck here but not yet in a way that you must be worried of.

for your I5 6400 rig, upgrading to GTX1060 6gb is nice. I would also recommend getting agnother 8GB RAM ad an SSD...if you haven't already.

Proc usage for each game is different. As long as everything works, there is nothing to be worried about.

aidaskulka

Reputable
Oct 20, 2017

Thanks for your answer !

Thanks for information, now i think i will go first for SSD, 120gb is enough i think,then graphic card.
If i upgrade to gtx 1060 8gb or 6gb, what i should pick up, Msi,Asus,Gigabyte?

that's the thing about "bottlenecks" :) some applications need more CPU, some more GPU :) GTA V is an example of CPU intensive game. the graphics settings have no effect to very low effect on CPU load. so if you can chose higher settings if GPU can do it.

aidaskulka

Reputable
Oct 20, 2017

Oh, and btw what do you thing about this site http://thebottlenecker.com/ ? Is it showing true?

there is some truth, but mostly crap :)
there are so many parameters that are not taken into account. even for gaming only, they are not taking into account the most important thing - the monitor.
As InvalidError mentioned, there is always a bottle necking component in every system. And it really depends on the application which component will be the weakest point. it can be anything CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD or HDD/network