770 4gb paired with an i3 8350k, bottlneck question.

Adamac

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015
Hi! I've recently purchased an i3 8350k, upgrading from a 8350fx. I'm still using a 770 4gb as my gpu and I was just generally curious if this would cause any bottlnecks in newer triple A titles. I know bottlenecking is an overused term but i'd like to hear what you guys think on this. Still waiting on a buying mobo/ram hoping for some good cybermonday deals!

Solution
It will, but that doesn't really matter. When you are mixing and matching old and new you get what you get.

Whatever the maximum graphics settings you had before are pretty much going to persist. What you might see on some games is an improvement in minimum frame rates or more consistent FPS, but the 770 is going to set your top end performance in games.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It will, but that doesn't really matter. When you are mixing and matching old and new you get what you get.

Whatever the maximum graphics settings you had before are pretty much going to persist. What you might see on some games is an improvement in minimum frame rates or more consistent FPS, but the 770 is going to set your top end performance in games.

Solution

Adamac

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015

Thanks for the fast replies! This answers my question pretty much. I haven't been that huge into triple A titles latley. A few battlefield here and there. Mostly for me it's been WoW and CSGO which is why i wanted the massive single core performance that the 8350k offers. Just wanted to get an idea on how bad it would be if I was to play triple A titles. Thank you.

cristianstratu7499

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018

WTF You wont get any bottleneck since the i3-8350k (Coffe lake, 4 real cores..) is slightly better than i5-7600k.... So it will work even with gtx1080.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Bottlenecking is a broad term used to describe a single component being the limiting factor in a system. In computer gaming, this usually comes down to two common things. The CPU or GPU. (And sometimes memory capacity) No one mentioned that the CPU would be a bottleneck.

Here the GPU will be the limiting factor in game performance.

As cautioned by the OP, bottlenecking is an overused term. Basically just means unused capacity/bandwidth is available in one or more components. Essentially just a term for making sure to build a balanced system. Don't spend all your money on one particular factor.