2400 vs 3000+ MHz RAM (dual)

ryan1431

Commendable
Jun 17, 2017
Hello,

Just wondering. I have one stick of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400MHz ram.

I want to have two sticks for dual channel.

Is it worth buying 2 new sticks @ 3200 MHz (for fps) or just one more 2400Mhz stick? in terms of performance vs cost.

Thanks
Ry

Solution
Yeah, I always advise a new MB when getting a new CPU, especially if the CPU is quite a step up from what you were using prior. Until you can afford a MB with better power phase, I would advise sticking to stock CPU clocks, and setting the RAM to 3200 via XMP if possible.
The best way to buy a pair of RAM modules to be used in dual channel is getting a matched kit to begin with. Dual channel RAM kits are tested to run within very close specs of each other on frequency and timings. This is important for optimal dual channel performance.

As for upgrading to 3200, it really depends whether you have an Intel or AMD CPU, specifically a Ryzen CPU where AMD is concerned. Ryzen CPUs will not perform at their best unless you get at least 3000, preferably 3200 speed RAM. That is because their Infinity Fabric is tied to RAM speed.

ryan1431

Commendable
Jun 17, 2017

Thanks for your reply. I have a ryzen 7 1700 CPU on a Tomahawk b350. Reason being is that I do music production, so lots of rendering. But the ram concern is primarily for gaming.

I would be purchasing the same model ram stick @ 2400, so they would be identical.

However you say AMD CPU doesn't perform best under 3000, so I'm now edging towards 2 Corsair 8GB DDR4 sticks @ 3200 MHz now. I've noticed a lot of FPS issues in games (even with lower resolutions, so i'm pinning it due to CPU/RAM bottlenecking) so I am willing to put in some cash to try and resolve it. This does mean spending an extra $100 for a pair @faster speeds.

Any final ideas before I spend this money? Thanks again

Adding another 2400 speed module is a gamble as to whether it would be as identical as a matched kit, and likely not. There are variances on such things, whereas with matched kits they test them to be within very close tolerances.

People commonly have used 3000 speed too on Ryzen, but mostly when it first launched. At first Ryzen had issues with 3200 or higher speed RAM not being able to run at it's full speed. Plus it required a specific type of RAM to be compatible.

I kinda gave up on Ryzen at that point and haven't followed the evolution of it closely, so I'm not 100% sure on what RAM will work, or if any won't. I would advise at least 3200 speed if you can afford it though.

I did a bit of searching just now and many are now saying any DDR4 RAM will work with Ryzen, and anything over 3200 has little benefit, but it benefits greatly from 3200 vs lower speeds. Getting 2 Corsair 3200 8GB sticks in a matched set would be a decent upgrade. What GPU are you using though?

Note, make SURE you read your MB manual and install the RAM modules in the proper slots for dual channel.

ryan1431

Commendable
Jun 17, 2017

Oh okay I wasn't aware that buying a pair at once is different than buying a single on separate occasions. Thanks for pointing that out.

I have a Geforce GTX 1060 6GB SSC GPU.

This is what I am planning on purchasing: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0143UM4TC/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i2?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0134EW7G8&pd_rd_r=da5bf35f-cbf3-11e7-b4af-bb8759a2f7d7&pd_rd_w=607Mk&pd_rd_wg=n1gfj&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=E6MTS9WDCVJTB8X98XRP&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=07871b8e-d32a-4963-b98f-ba712077f7f5&pf_rd_i=desktop&th=1

And this is what I was going to purchase before : https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00UVN2C8O/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00UVN2C8O&pd_rd_r=da5bf35f-cbf3-11e7-b4af-bb8759a2f7d7&pd_rd_w=607Mk&pd_rd_wg=n1gfj&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=E6MTS9WDCVJTB8X98XRP&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=07871b8e-d32a-4963-b98f-ba712077f7f5&pf_rd_i=desktop

ryan1431

Commendable
Jun 17, 2017
After a BUNCH of trial and error, and unexpected problems, I managed to get my dual DDR4 3200MHz ram running at 3066 MHz with a steady 3.8 GHz overclock on cpu. It's like a DIFFERENT COMPUTER ! SOOOO thankful for your help. I can now run Rise of the Tomb Raider with (almost) always 60+fps on high settings. Witcher 3 on high is no problem, and games I was having issues with are now smooth like buttah.

I had put up with it for like five months, so it's a big deal to me ahah. Finally got what I paid for. :)

Great, but did you set the RAM to XMP in the MB BIOS? With XMP no reason it shouldn't run at the full 3200.

Are you running a Ryzen CPU by any chance? At first they had trouble running high speed RAM at rated speed, but anymore you can use almost any 3200 speed RAM at full speed. If you're on Intel it definitely shouldn't be a problem.

ryan1431

Commendable
Jun 17, 2017

Yeah it's on a-XMP profile 1. I'm running wit ha Ryzen 7 1700. Got a tomahawk b350 with latest bios. It also fails to post 2-3 times each time I turn it on, then runs fine with 3066. Any idea why this is happening?

I'm not fully sure. It could be the time the CPU was made, but I thought the RAM problems were solved via firmware updates. Maybe contact AMD support and ask how you can get the latest firmware. I'm sure this is not a RAM, but a CPU problem.

I have to say though that it may also be some people on the net either embellishing or having more luck than others on their Ryzens. CPUs can vary from one to the other quite a bit. I could never get my i7-950 to maintain a stable OC, but it never had a problem running my RAM on XMP at it's full rated speed.

What I don't get though is you say you're using an XMP profile. Granted it's been a while since I bought a MB, but when I bought mine, XMP always put your RAM at it's full rated speed. On your MB is XMP 1 3000, and XMP 2 3200? I get the feeling that's a failsafe on AM4 MBs to account for the unpredictable RAM speed limitations of Ryzen.

This same scenario had been common that people with 3200 or higher RAM could only get it to run at 3000 on their Ryzens, but much of what I've read lately said they'd overcome that hurdle. Maybe not though, and least not consistently anyway, or it could also mean you might have best results with certain types of RAM on Ryzen (there's a Ryzen RAM compatibility list).

I'll end by saying do not OC your FSB (BLCK) on your MB. Just set it to default, enable it, then go back in and select XMP. If there's two XMPs of different speeds, try the 3200 one again without a BLCK OC. A BLCK OC will affect your RAM speed.

ryan1431

Commendable
Jun 17, 2017
Turns out my PC won't be able to maintain the CPU Overclock AND clocked ram (@3066). It fails to posts 1-3 times the first time, but the next day when I turned my PC on, it didn't post at all and had to reset itself after 5.

I did a little reading and apparently it may have to do with the motherboard's ability to provide enough voltage to both the ram and the cpu, and considering the cpu is quite high-range, I should have probably bought a better motherboard if I wan'ted to get a good OC. So I have to decide between a CPU over clock (3.0 --> 3.8 GHz) or a RAM clock @(2400MHz --> 3066MHz).

Idk. Kinda sucks, but I've spent so much time on this that at this point it's not worth the extra couple frames to me. Unless something is actually wrong with my parts to the point where it affects performance, I'm fine with the change that the second stick of ram gave me. Probably gonna clock my ram and forget the cpu.

Also, can you explain what FSB/BLCK is? Sorry kinda a noob.

Yeah, I always advise a new MB when getting a new CPU, especially if the CPU is quite a step up from what you were using prior. Until you can afford a MB with better power phase, I would advise sticking to stock CPU clocks, and setting the RAM to 3200 via XMP if possible.

Solution