Jul 12, 2016
My specs are:
Ryzen 5 1600 stock clock speed with wraith cooler
8 GB ram cmk8gx4m2a2400c16
Asrock ab350 pro4 with latest bios
EVGA Supernova G3 650 watt
used MSI R9 280 3gb
crucial 525gb ssd 2.5"

I figured out that the processor is stable because aida64, cinebench, and prime95 both work smoothly without any crashes even with oc to 3.6 gHz. Crystaldisk shows that ssd is in good condition. I did memtest for about an hour with all 11 tests and it shows no errors with XMP at 2400.
So far I've figured out that it's the amd gpu drivers, because if I uninstall the drivers with DDU there's no crash, but with the latest amd gpu drivers the computer crashes intermittently sometime during boot and sometime 15 minutes in while I'm watching youtube or browsing reddit. What should I do? Find some legacy drivers? Or should I just sell the gpu and buy a new one?

UPDATE: I tried reinstalling latest drivers and setting memory and core clock speed on the gpu down by 50 mHZ each. No difference. Still crashed just as I opened youtube. I'm currently using my other gpu, GT 730, and about 10 minutes into video playback no crashes.

Are you referring to the new Crimson 17.11.2 made for Battlefront II?

I run a 7970, basically same as 280X, and had no such problems on 17.10.3 or 17.11.1, which is what I'm currently running.

I see nothing under Known Issues in the release notes for 17.11.2 indicating any problems with the 280 GPUs, but sometimes they miss things. If you're not playing Battlefront II though, there's no reason to even use 17.11.2.

I pretty much treat these beta drivers like I do MB BIOS updates. I don't bother with them unless they're made for a game I'm playing.

TawTaw

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

I tried running 17.10.3 and 17.9.3. In both cases, the computer crashed within 5-10 minutes, both times while watching youtube videos. Prior to that, I'd been running off my other gpu, GT 730, and found no crashes within ~10h of use. Should I just rma the gpu at this point? It was made in 2015, so I still have a few months left for warranty

Well, if you can afford a better GPU, I'd buy one, because a 730 isn't really a gaming GPU anyway. Plus sending it in for RMA would mean being without anything for graphics for a while.

I would get a better GPU, then send it in, you could use the replacement as a backup.

TRENDING THREADS