i5 4460 suddenly running hotter than normal under load

MyTeaIsMighty

Reputable
May 26, 2016
I was playing Shadow of Mordor last night and I noticed the CPU fan was spinning incredibly fast. So I checked to see what was going on and my CPU was running at 80-82 degrees at max and the fan was spinning at 3000rpm, both of which are values I've never seen my CPU reach before. Like you know when it's a really windy day and you can hear the wind battering against your windows? It sounded like that.

The most I've ever seen my CPU reach before was about 65 degrees with the fan spinning at around 2400 rpm. Do you think something is going wrong or would it just be a matter of getting a new cooler since I'm using the stock cooler and it's a few years old now.

I should also mention that about 5 days ago now I replaced my power supply with the same model, but obviously new. And while I'm very sure I did nothing wrong when replacing it, could that have something to do with it? I've played shadow of mordor between last night and replacing my power supply and it didn't reach those values.

Solution
Try your older power Supply again. If that doesn't work then it might be major major major dust problems. Maybe the thermal compound is old. You might want to grab a new cooler if these don't fix it.

unspeakable

Notable
Oct 13, 2017
Try your older power Supply again. If that doesn't work then it might be major major major dust problems. Maybe the thermal compound is old. You might want to grab a new cooler if these don't fix it.

Solution