RX 580: Freeze during gaming

darkfish

Prominent
Nov 23, 2017
Hi I’m new here and I’m hoping to get some answer.

I had a low end gaming rig before until my girlfriend gave me an XFX RX 580 4gb as a present. But whenever I play games with it, 20-30min after my screen freeze. The only way to get around it is to press the power button and restart the whole system. I tried updating my driver, adjusting the target temp and fan speed with radeon wattman but it doesn’t solve anything.

Here’s my rig

AMD A10-7860K 3.6Ghz
Gigabyte F2A68HM-S1
2x 8Gb DDR3 PNY Anarchy RAM
XFX AMD RX 580 4Gb Black Edition
Seasonic sI2 520watts 80+ Bronze
500GB HDD
3x 120mm Led Fan
ID cooling frostflow 120mm

I only have 3 games that is currently installed (DOTA 2, PUBG, Witcher 3) and all of them is experiencing the same issue.

P.S
I know that my cpu is too weak for my gpu, but please help me make this work. I’m on a tight budget as of the moment and I’m avoiding upgrading as much as possible

Solution

Hi, I solved this by upgrading my system. From A10, I am now using ryzen 5 1600. After upgrading, I didn’t encounter this problem ever again.

TechnoStyle

Honorable
Feb 26, 2017
I had a problem with my ASUS Strix RX480 before.
It crashed in heavy games with single colored screen and buzzing sound. (buzzzzzzzzzzzz... and screen completely black. Mobo CPU fault LED is lighting etc etc.)
I RMAed it and buy another card. (Asus Dual GTX 1060).
All my problems are gone. New card works flawlessly.

If you sure about all other components are stable, just RMA the RX 580.

Rexer

Distinguished

Pardon me, I'm just watching your thread.
I own a 580 8gb that runs perfectly fine but I just replaced it with the bigger Vega 64. It crashes most of the time on start up. Being that I replaced the psu from a 750w to an 850w, reseated all my connections, ram and hardware, cleaned out my games and video drivers (using DDU and Revo uninstaller), ran the system file checker and disk scan for Windows, and reinstalled drivers & games, it's got me stumped. I also test my 4 rams sticks one at a time , two at a time (using the 1 & 3 slots), checked my bios for updates, even replaced my wiring, I've no clue.
I know games remember crashes and settings and so I reset to default and reset all my games settings. Nope, that didn't solve a thing.
So with big, power hungry cards like 290x, 390x and Vega, it still boots a black screen more frequently than it starts Windows. But with lesser power cards like 970 and 580, it starts up flawless every time.
Yeah, I'm looking at the same thing you are whether it's the cpu or motherboard. It's a 5 yr. old 3770k Ivy bridge, not much different than a 2 gen i7 Sandy Bridge. I ordered a motherboard beeper so I can get a beeper code but right now, I've no clue. I'm using the lesser power card to fulfill my gaming thirst.
Hope some of what I did helps you. I hope some helps get your rig going.

darkfish

Prominent
Nov 23, 2017

Hi, I solved this by upgrading my system. From A10, I am now using ryzen 5 1600. After upgrading, I didn’t encounter this problem ever again.

Solution

Rexer

Distinguished

After purchasing a new motherboard for my computer, I started giving what you said some thought, I'm gonna do the same thing. My game system is almost 5 years old. So I laid out some coin and purchased a few new parts. Next month I should have it complete. Feeling pretty good about this. Thanks darkfish.