i3 2100 - Super Bottleneck?

Game: MU Legend
PC Specs:
i3 2100
ASUS GTX 950 2gb
ASUS H61m-PRO
2x4gb G.Skill RipJaws X
SanDisk 120g SSD

I play MU Legend and monitoring via MSI Afterburner and NZXT CAM. I see my CPU at 55 - 70 % while GPU at 25 - 40% only. Is this bottlenecking? How do I maximize the performance of my hardware to get better FPS?
I play 1920x1080 Low and I also tested 1920x1080 high. FPS seems to be very close (35 to 45) just with high I sometimes go as low as 8 FPS.

Will an i5 2400 upgrade give me more FPS?
6 answers Last reply
More about 2100 super bottleneck
  1. At 55-70% utilization the CPU is not bottlenecking. But I would bet it is at other times when you are not looking. See if you can find a 2500k or better instead. The 'k' models can be overclocked to run much faster if combined with a good cooler.
  2. bjornl said:
    At 55-70% utilization the CPU is not bottlenecking. But I would bet it is at other times when you are not looking. See if you can find a 2500k or better instead. The 'k' models can be overclocked to run much faster if combined with a good cooler.


    Hey bjornl! Thanks for your reply! Uhmm.. even if I find any 1155 socket 'K' processor, there's no chance I can still get an overclocking motherboard here in in my country. I'm only running at an h61m chipset. Sad. :(
    What I have in mind is that maybe a QUAD core i5 2400 would help since the CPU process overall will be much more divide due to more cores. I can easily buy i5 2400 tomorrow but not sure if it would make a difference.
  3. iandcn said:
    bjornl said:
    At 55-70% utilization the CPU is not bottlenecking. But I would bet it is at other times when you are not looking. See if you can find a 2500k or better instead. The 'k' models can be overclocked to run much faster if combined with a good cooler.


    Hey bjornl! Thanks for your reply! Uhmm.. even if I find any 1155 socket 'K' processor, there's no chance I can still get an overclocking motherboard here in in my country. I'm only running at an h61m chipset. Sad. :(
    What I have in mind is that maybe a QUAD core i5 2400 would help since the CPU process overall will be much more divide due to more cores. I can easily buy i5 2400 tomorrow but not sure if it would make a difference.


    You might still find 'k' series complete computers used for cheap. Locally (near Seattle) they often are up for sale and in some cases offer to part out the computer (allowing you to only buy what you want).

    But every region is a little different. There might not be as many PCs for sale used to those who don't live in between Intel,Microsoft, Amazon. Boeing and several other high-tech major players. So even if you just grap the 2400, I would expect that it makes for a better experience than the same clock speed dual core (also lacking turbo mode).

    However while I think you are improving your PC (and probably will enjoy multitasking on it more), I don't think you will see a major change in FPS. For that you need a new video card like the 1050ti.
  4. bjornl said:
    iandcn said:
    bjornl said:
    At 55-70% utilization the CPU is not bottlenecking. But I would bet it is at other times when you are not looking. See if you can find a 2500k or better instead. The 'k' models can be overclocked to run much faster if combined with a good cooler.


    Hey bjornl! Thanks for your reply! Uhmm.. even if I find any 1155 socket 'K' processor, there's no chance I can still get an overclocking motherboard here in in my country. I'm only running at an h61m chipset. Sad. :(
    What I have in mind is that maybe a QUAD core i5 2400 would help since the CPU process overall will be much more divide due to more cores. I can easily buy i5 2400 tomorrow but not sure if it would make a difference.


    You might still find 'k' series complete computers used for cheap. Locally (near Seattle) they often are up for sale and in some cases offer to part out the computer (allowing you to only buy what you want).

    But every region is a little different. There might not be as many PCs for sale used to those who don't live in between Intel,Microsoft, Amazon. Boeing and several other high-tech major players. So even if you just grap the 2400, I would expect that it makes for a better experience than the same clock speed dual core (also lacking turbo mode).

    However while I think you are improving your PC (and probably will enjoy multitasking on it more), I don't think you will see a major change in FPS. For that you need a new video card like the 1050ti.


    I live in the Philippines and prices and stocks here really sucks. But anyway, you suggested GPU Upgrade and that's actually part of the plan.I'm aiming for i5 2400 & GTX 1060 6gb combo here. However the quickest upgrade I can make right now is the 2400. I'm just wondering if there would be an increase in my gaming performance since the game I play is an open world type which I believe benefits having more cores/threads. (not so sure about that)
  5. iandcn said:
    bjornl said:
    iandcn said:
    bjornl said:
    At 55-70% utilization the CPU is not bottlenecking. But I would bet it is at other times when you are not looking. See if you can find a 2500k or better instead. The 'k' models can be overclocked to run much faster if combined with a good cooler.


    Hey bjornl! Thanks for your reply! Uhmm.. even if I find any 1155 socket 'K' processor, there's no chance I can still get an overclocking motherboard here in in my country. I'm only running at an h61m chipset. Sad. :(
    What I have in mind is that maybe a QUAD core i5 2400 would help since the CPU process overall will be much more divide due to more cores. I can easily buy i5 2400 tomorrow but not sure if it would make a difference.


    You might still find 'k' series complete computers used for cheap. Locally (near Seattle) they often are up for sale and in some cases offer to part out the computer (allowing you to only buy what you want).

    But every region is a little different. There might not be as many PCs for sale used to those who don't live in between Intel,Microsoft, Amazon. Boeing and several other high-tech major players. So even if you just grap the 2400, I would expect that it makes for a better experience than the same clock speed dual core (also lacking turbo mode).

    However while I think you are improving your PC (and probably will enjoy multitasking on it more), I don't think you will see a major change in FPS. For that you need a new video card like the 1050ti.


    I live in the Philippines and prices and stocks here really sucks. But anyway, you suggested GPU Upgrade and that's actually part of the plan.I'm aiming for i5 2400 & GTX 1060 6gb combo here. However the quickest upgrade I can make right now is the 2400. I'm just wondering if there would be an increase in my gaming performance since the game I play is an open world type which I believe benefits having more cores/threads. (not so sure about that)


    It depends on the game. Most of them will only use two. But your OS will use the 3rd core and so even in those games there is a benefit to a quad core. Then there is the boost (turbo) of the 2400 which adds speed when the CPU is loaded down (like CPU auto-overclocking), this too will help. The 1060 6gb card i a great card. Very fast and lots of ram for games like the fallout series which are fun to mod with lots of new textures.
  6. I think I'll jump into the 2400 as a very quick n easy upgrade as for now. It might also be a big help for my Adobe Lightroom works. GTX 1060 in the future (hopefully). Thanks for your replies bjorn!
Ask a new question

Read More

Processors CPUs Games FPS Graphics Mmorpg GPUs Bottleneck Graphics Cards