New 1070 gtx and i7-7700 random drops in most games

snoman1

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Hi guys

I have a new gaming PC 1070 gtx i7700 cpu. I get these weird fps drops in games. When I monitor the CPU and GPU they look fine (i think). When the drop happens my disk 1 spikes to 50% usage, not sure what that means. The games im trying to play should be a piece of cake for a PC like this.

Windows 10
Geforce GTX 1070
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60 GHz 3.60 GHz
64-bit operating System, x64-based processor
ASUS Z270 Motherboard
Corsair 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black C14 2400MHz
Acer Predator 140hz 1ms response time

any help would be appreciated!

p.s. Im not very tech savy

Solution
In that case, I'd go check the health status of said disk 1. Use HDTune or CrystalDiskInfo to do that (or a similar program if you already have one).

If health status shows good (you can check the specific limit health values for your drive online), then also check whether disk 1 has any power saving features turned on - and turn them off if yes.

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Disk usage spikes might point to the games loading data from the disk, but the disk having a very high response time -> data doesn't get read fast enough -> game lags because it's waiting for that data.

Are the games installed on a HDD or SSD? If it's the latter, then I'm probably wrong and something else is causing the problem.

snoman1

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Hey thanks for the response!

I have what I think is a HDD (not sure how to tell) on my PC that only has a steam library folder in it. Thats where most of my games are. I've gotta go to work so I'll try playing from my SSD when i get home.

Thanks again

snoman1

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Im playing it from the SSD now and the disk 1 usage spikes are still occurring accompanied by the pause in frame rate. Not sure what the issue is

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
In that case, I'd go check the health status of said disk 1. Use HDTune or CrystalDiskInfo to do that (or a similar program if you already have one).

If health status shows good (you can check the specific limit health values for your drive online), then also check whether disk 1 has any power saving features turned on - and turn them off if yes.

Solution