i5 2400 2nd hand cpu hiting 60 degrees c and 80% load in windows 10 home

jay26golding

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
Hi my i5 2400 cpu is getting hot 60c and at 70% load in windows 10 home screen it is also jumping in games like mincraft
It has 8gb ram. Asrock motherboad z68 and a gtx 750 2gb. I believe the cpu is stuffed but what do you think

Solution
60C is warm but not hot, typical temp for an i5 under load. But 70% usage when supposed to be idle means something running in the background. Run scans with SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes AntiMalware, and check startup programs for anything those two didn't get rid of and disable them.
60C is warm but not hot, typical temp for an i5 under load. But 70% usage when supposed to be idle means something running in the background. Run scans with SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes AntiMalware, and check startup programs for anything those two didn't get rid of and disable them.

Solution

Might need to re-apply the thermal paste/re-seat the heatsink if it's not a virus. A more drastic measure you could take is wiping the drive and reinstalling windows if you suspect malware, but can't find it.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Bring up task manager and see what's using the CPU, easiest way is to right click on the task bar and select task manager.
Then you can click the CPU heading to sort by CPU usage and see where that 70% is going.

Sometimes windows does things in the background when you are not using much resources, generally that shouldn't last long.
Your CPU doesn't sound stuffed at all, sounds more like either a software issue or just a general lack of power for some games.