Is a 480 radiator overkill for FX 8350

jpard1234

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
Currently I have an FX 8350 running at 4.3Ghz with a Corsair H75, although this cooler is only barely able to keep up through an Australian summer (35+ degree days) plus I would like to push the overclock a bit further.

I'm looking at getting an EK PE 480mm radiator (plus new pump, reservoir, block, etc.). In the future I may also look at adding a GPU to the loop as well.

Keeping in mind that a 480 is only $30 more than a 360, is the larger radiator excessive?

Solution
This all comes down to where the value lies for you, yourself. The cooling loop is something in which the majority of components can carry from build to build over time, but does require the investment upfront. Is it required? No.

Also remember that liquid cooling cannot cool below ambient room temperature, but you can lower the cooling delta of the cooler itself by using a superior cooler. Cooling delta temp is not the same as die-reported temps from CoreTemp or RealTemp, etc., it is the delta of the coolant vs. the ambient room temperature. Your overall cooling delta would be the difference between your load temps at 100% vs. recorded ambient room temperature.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This all comes down to where the value lies for you, yourself. The cooling loop is something in which the majority of components can carry from build to build over time, but does require the investment upfront. Is it required? No.

Also remember that liquid cooling cannot cool below ambient room temperature, but you can lower the cooling delta of the cooler itself by using a superior cooler. Cooling delta temp is not the same as die-reported temps from CoreTemp or RealTemp, etc., it is the delta of the coolant vs. the ambient room temperature. Your overall cooling delta would be the difference between your load temps at 100% vs. recorded ambient room temperature.

Solution