RX 570 8gb vs RX 5804gb or RX 580 8gb vs GTX 1060 6gb?

resonantace

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
I'm looking to upgrade to a new graphics card and saw there is a rough price jump of about $50 between the two sets. First off around $230 there is the MSI Armor OC for the 570 8Gb and the 580 4Gb and around $280 there is the MSI Armor OC for the 580 8Gb and the EVGA SC 1060 6Gb. I know the graphics cards are pricier due to mining, should I wait to upgrade/how long is the shortage expected? If I should get now, is it better to pay the $50 extra? Finally in the better price range, which is the better card? I know the 580 is better future proof , but what benefits would the 570/1060 have over it (since I have many, many DX11 games already, more so than DX12)?

Solution
No one knows when prices will come down. If cost is an issue, and you can wait, then wait. Assuming you need a card now, realize that 8gb only matters if the games you play, and the settings you use, require more than 4gb. Worrying about 'future proofing' is pointless since it's impossible to predict how useful the extra memory will really be.

If you have a faster card today, you get the benefits of better performance today. The extra 4gb may or may not ever be helpful. Some games run better with Nvidia, which is why someone might prefer a 1060. DX 11 matters now, DX 12 will matter someday but when it does will the RX 5xx series still be relevant? No one knows.
No one knows when prices will come down. If cost is an issue, and you can wait, then wait. Assuming you need a card now, realize that 8gb only matters if the games you play, and the settings you use, require more than 4gb. Worrying about 'future proofing' is pointless since it's impossible to predict how useful the extra memory will really be.

If you have a faster card today, you get the benefits of better performance today. The extra 4gb may or may not ever be helpful. Some games run better with Nvidia, which is why someone might prefer a 1060. DX 11 matters now, DX 12 will matter someday but when it does will the RX 5xx series still be relevant? No one knows.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS